Poetry Format

Samuel Bacon

Aug 22, 2021, 5:08:22 PM8/22/21
to Bibledit-General
I am having difficulty with the poetry format. In particular, the line breaks and indenting. I'm about to tackle putting our OT into USFM for Bibledit which has a bunch of poetry (like all of Psalms and the prophets). Is there a way to get the text to have suitable poetry indents while the verse numbers are all on the left?
Here is a sample format from Heb 2:5-8 in ESV:
ESV Heb 2:5-8.png
Note that 'What is man ...' does not have a verse number at the start. Its a \q1 line. Note v7 has the verse number then a \q1 line. Note v8 has the verse number then a \q2 line.
But here's how it looks in Bibledit:
Heb 2.5-8 in Bible edit.png
The number 7 is indented to the \q1 indent. The number 8 is indented to the \q2 indent.

Here's my USFM in Bibledit:
\p
\v 5 Ita koalia kona ba mundu nebee sei tuir mai. Maromak la halo mundu nebee sei tuir mai nee atu hakruuk ba anju sira.
\v 6 Iha fatin ida sira foo testemunha nee,
\q1 “Saida mak ema, atu O hanoin nia,
\q2 no saida mak Oan Mane hosi ema, atu O tau matan ba Nia?
\q1
\v 7 O halo Nia kiik liu anju sira too tempu uitoan,
\q2 no O foo koroa ba Nia nebee iha glória no onra,\f + \fr 2:7 \ft Manuskritu balu aumenta, ‘no foti Nia atu ukun buat nebee Ita nia liman mak halo.’ Kompara mos ho Salmu 8:6.\f*
\q2
\v 8 no tau buat hotu iha Ninia ain okos hodi hakruuk ba Nia.”\f + \fr 2:6-8 \ft Hosi Salmu 8:4-6.\f*

Here is the sample from the USFM Reference 2.4, p.37 on Poetry:
USFM sample.png

For NT I might not be so concerned as there is not a lot of poetry. But OT has a bunch and it would start impacting on page count and readability.
Thanks for all you do,
Samuel

Teus Benschop

Aug 23, 2021, 1:46:47 PM8/23/21
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Hello Samuel,

The properties of for example the \q1 style can be set by creating a new stylesheet and then editing the relevant style in that stylesheet.

The following is an example of the properties that can be set for that style.

Stylesheettest
Styleq1
NamePoetic line level 1
DescriptionPoetry text, level 1 indent, if multiple levels.
CategoryPoetry elements
This stylestarts a new paragraph
This oneis a normal paragraph
Font size12 points
ItalicOff
BoldOff
UnderlineOff
Small capsOff
Text alignmentLeft align
Space before0 mm
Space after0 mm
Left margin31.8 mm
Right margin0 mm
First line indent-25.4 mm

I think that will take care of most or perhaps all what you need with regard to laying out the text in a nice and poetic way.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Oreo Warpok

Aug 23, 2021, 3:29:37 PM8/23/21
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Teus,

I am struggling with a related problem.
It seems to me that the poetry format that I determine in Bibledit does not transfer to Openoffice/Libreoffice in regards to overflow past one line.
We can overcome that by adjusting the q formats in Libreoffice.

Here is an example where I have not yet modified the q2 format.
Screenshot_20210823_142418.png
The overflow line from the \q2 lain "yaitu suara-suara ...  which is just the two words 'sangat mendalam' is way farther to the right than 1cm (plus a little) that is determined in the BE style sheet.

Phil

===============
Oreo Phil                 479-524-7005

      One King to rule them all, One Son to find them,
      One Blood to cleanse them all, And from the dark unbind them.
===============

Samuel Bacon

Aug 23, 2021, 4:40:29 PM8/23/21
to Bibledit-General
Thank you Teus for the info about the styles - I hadn't thought of exploring that. Also I can see that Phil's issue will also become an issue for me - some poetry lines do get long.
Bibledit does a very good job of displaying the poetry. However, after looking at the styles, I don't see a way of handling the verse numbers. Its as if the verse numbers need to sit separately to the text and be aligned on the far left of the column regardless of if it is a q1 or q2 line. And then the text is indented accordingly. Originally, in Word, I wrote the verse number, then 1 tab to start the q1 text and two tabs to start the q2 text. With that method the verse number was always at the far left and did not mess with the alignment of the text.
I will try to provide a sample of Psalms.
Thanks,
Samuel

Samuel Bacon

Aug 24, 2021, 5:23:13 PM8/24/21
to Bibledit-General
Ok, I've spent some time trying out the settings for styles and export in Bibledit. I noted that the chapter number was not drop capped (due to the following poetry line being short) until I selected 'Use frames for OpenDocument format in case the chapter number ... ' - this was selected in export (not styles). For handling verse numbers I also tried all the options for 'The type of space to insert after a verse number' in export.
It seems to me that Bibledit handles the poetry format through indents. This also indents the verse number along with the text, however the verse number should always remain left aligned. I suggest a better way to handle this is to use tabs for poetry \q1 and \q2 lines (which come after the verse number) and leave the indent function for handling the 'overflow' of longer lines in poetry. If Teus is happy to consider this then I could create it as an issue in Github. But perhaps there's something I'm missing.
I've attached the openoffice export of Psalm 8:1-4 - the first version is what is exported as close as possible to what I would like. Then second version below it is how I've adjusted the format with tabs to create a more appropriate look. 2 column format was applied to highlight the issue raised by Phil earlier. Note especially how verse 2 is handled.

Psalm 8 export.png

Psalm 8 export adjusted.png
How majestic is the name of the Lord in all the heavens and the earth!

Teus Benschop

Aug 25, 2021, 2:42:08 PM8/25/21
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Having the verse numbers aligned to the left looks better than when the verse numbers precede the paragraph text immediately. If this improves the visual layout in OpenDocument format, then I would be happy to look at how to do that in the export formats.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Samuel Bacon

Aug 25, 2021, 3:48:52 PM8/25/21
to Bibledit-General
That would be awesome - it would be a great contribution especially for the poetry of the Old Testament.

Oreo Warpok

Aug 25, 2021, 5:34:22 PM8/25/21
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
That second poetry example is beautiful!
If we could do like that in BE's export formatting, that would be great.
If you are hinting that I add that in github, I will!

Thanks!
Phil
===============
Oreo Phil                 479-524-7005

      One King to rule them all, One Son to find them,
      One Blood to cleanse them all, And from the dark unbind them.
===============

Samuel Bacon

Sep 13, 2021, 4:06:03 PM9/13/21
to Bibledit-General
Was there any progress on the poetry format? Should I put a request into gihub?

Teus Benschop

Sep 14, 2021, 12:12:03 PM9/14/21
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
The issue was already opened by Phil on GitHub.
Apart from that no work has yet been done because there's other issues coming earlier in the queue.
But you can track its progress via https://github.com/bibledit/cloud/issues when it will be its turn to be dealt with. It will be dealt with in the order the issues are entered on GitHub, pending big bugs that go first.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Samuel Bacon

Sep 18, 2021, 7:17:28 PM9/18/21
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much, it is very appreciated!
Samuel

Kadi Kapasidade
Rua De Beto Leste, Beto
Naroman, Madohi, Dili
Timor-Leste

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Bibledit-General" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bibledit-general/CAFueZ4y50wNnhVxTrsQCpnvH41XVpF77mcC-4rWGshKNtSw%3DQA%40mail.gmail.com.