Importing USFM into Bibledit Cloud

Eric Chapman

Apr 18, 2022, 9:28:45 PMApr 18
to Teus Benschop
I am using Bibledit and Paratext at the same time, trying to work out a
method for both translating further and producing good-looking drafts in
various formatting for reviewers. Round-tripping between Bibledit and
Paratext would be very helpful.

Bibledit will give me the collaboration tools I need via internet for
reviewers. It seems (maybe) that PTXPrint and Paratext will give me
usable drafts that are closer to what I envision.

My question: How can I import the Paratext USFM files into Bibledit Cloud?

According to this (https://www.nongnu.org/bibledit/olh_import.html), it
is possible, but I don't see options to do this under "Tools" or
"Preferences", the two places I would expect that option might be. What
I want to do is make some changes in Paratext, then export to Bibledit
so I have the same in both.

Thanks!

Michael Johnson

Apr 18, 2022, 9:42:33 PMApr 18
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Both Paratext and Bibledit can read and write USFM files. Paratext keeps the USFM files in the project folder for that project. You import those into Bibledit, or export full USFM files from Bibledit to Paratext. However, I think you need administrator privileges on the Bibledit Cloud instance to do that. I recommend picking a set of rails and sticking to them for a while as you translate, as that can save you some frustration if you use some of the newer USFM 3.0 markup features, which are not always interpreted the same way by both programs. At the very least, I recommend that you designate one or the other programs as hosting the MASTER copy of your project, then just do all of your transfers in one direction.
--

Aloha,
Michael Johnson

26 HIWALANI LOOP • MAKAWAO HI 96768-8747
• USA
mljohnson.orgeBible.orgWorldEnglish.BiblePNG.Bible
Signal/Telegram/WhatsApp/Telephone: +1 808-333-6921
Skype: kahunapule • Telegram/Twitter: @kahunapule • Facebook: fb.me/kahunapule

Teus Benschop

Apr 19, 2022, 1:20:32 PMApr 19
On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 at 03:28, Eric Chapman <ben...@etchapman.org> wrote:
[...] Round-tripping between Bibledit and
Paratext would be very helpful. [...]

Something like this should be possible in Bibledit for Windows. If Bibledit runs on Windows, there's an extra menu item to synchronize the files with a local Paratext installation on that same copy of Windows.

Eric Chapman

Apr 21, 2022, 8:57:25 PMApr 21
to Teus Benschop

It worked! I had it the Paratext-Bibledit connection only partially set up. I had the directory selected, but did not realize I needed to go on an select the Project Name and also whether it would initially get data from Bibledit or Paratext. Anyway, once I got that done and went to Settings > Tools > Send/Receive, the entire synchronization worked beautifully. I am happy since I think that will help me develop a better workflow. THANKS so much for Bibledit and your quick help on everything, Teus!

Eric

On 4/21/22 12:06, Teus Benschop wrote:
Hello Eric,

Once Bibledit was set up to know where Paratext is, and once the other parts are set up as well, then there should be a way to synchronize the data via the Tools menu in Bibledit. I have no Windows system at hand just now, but there should be some item in Tools and then likely Send/Receive.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 at 00:04, Eric Chapman <ben...@etchapman.org> wrote:

I have set up the Windows version of Bibledit on Windows. In the "Paratext" tab, I selected the proper folder where the Paratext projects are stored on that Windows machine. I made one change in Paratext, and am hoping it will show up in Bibledit.

Questions (I tried unsuccessfully to find answers to these questions in "Help"): when does Bibledit get the data from Paratext? Would shutting down Bibledit on Windows and restarting it "encourage" it to get the data from Paratext? Is there any way to make sure the data goes to Bibledit and/or any way to speed it up or make it happen?