Export custom stylesheet from Bibledit?

Eric Chapman

Apr 16, 2022, 9:16:17 AM4/16/22
to Teus Benschop

At the bottom of the page to edit the custom stylesheet in Bibledit Cloud, there is this sentence: "You can copy or backup this stylesheet. The stylesheet is kept in one folder. The name of the folder is this: /var/bibledit/bibledit-cloud/databases/styles/TPV1". I cannot find that anywhere on my computer, and I'm wondering if it is stored on the server (cloud) only.

I have the Bibledit version for Mac installed also, but I do not have the custom stylesheet available ("TPV1") available in it. Should it not be sent to the desktop when Send/Receive is done? Or is there another way to get it there?

And I need the stylesheet as a raw file (TPV1.sty) to put in a folder to try to generate drafts from PTXprint.

Thanks!

Teus Benschop

Apr 16, 2022, 12:31:01 PM4/16/22
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 at 15:16, Eric Chapman <ben...@etchapman.org> wrote:

At the bottom of the page to edit the custom stylesheet in Bibledit Cloud, there is this sentence: "You can copy or backup this stylesheet. The stylesheet is kept in one folder. The name of the folder is this: /var/bibledit/bibledit-cloud/databases/styles/TPV1". I cannot find that anywhere on my computer, and I'm wondering if it is stored on the server (cloud) only.

The folder where a stylesheet is stored varies per operating system. If opening the same page on Android, for example, it will give the path where the stylesheet is stored on that Android device. This applies to other operating systems as well.

I have the Bibledit version for Mac installed also, but I do not have the custom stylesheet available ("TPV1") available in it. Should it not be sent to the desktop when Send/Receive is done? Or is there another way to get it there?

The topic of sharing stylesheets between Cloud and client devices is also discussed a bit here: https://github.com/bibledit/cloud/issues/753

And I need the stylesheet as a raw file (TPV1.sty) to put in a folder to try to generate drafts from PTXprint.

The format used by PTXprint is not the format supported by Bibledit.
One way of getting such a .sty file would be to take the standard usfm.sty as used by Paratext, and then manually add or edit the styles as needed.
Perhaps there's another way of getting this?

Teus.

Eric Chapman

Apr 16, 2022, 6:00:43 PM4/16/22
to Teus Benschop

Thanks, Teus, for all your time helping me! My comments are below.

On 4/16/22 12:30, Teus Benschop wrote:
On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 at 15:16, Eric Chapman <ben...@etchapman.org> wrote:

At the bottom of the page to edit the custom stylesheet in Bibledit Cloud, there is this sentence: "You can copy or backup this stylesheet. The stylesheet is kept in one folder. The name of the folder is this: /var/bibledit/bibledit-cloud/databases/styles/TPV1". I cannot find that anywhere on my computer, and I'm wondering if it is stored on the server (cloud) only.

The folder where a stylesheet is stored varies per operating system. If opening the same page on Android, for example, it will give the path where the stylesheet is stored on that Android device. This applies to other operating systems as well.

This is strange. I cannot find the folder Bibledit is talking about. I can find /private/var/ with subfolders, but not /var/bibledit/bibledit-cloud/databases/styles/. I've done Spotlight searches, run OmniDiskSweeper and poked around in it, and looked myself, including looking in /Users/ec4/Library/Containers/org.bibledit.osx/. But I cannot for the life of me find it. I would like to somehow find a way to get the cloud instance of my stylesheet in to the desktop version. Seems like I saw some place where you could send it to all users, but I can't find that now.

I have the Bibledit version for Mac installed also, but I do not have the custom stylesheet available ("TPV1") available in it. Should it not be sent to the desktop when Send/Receive is done? Or is there another way to get it there?

The topic of sharing stylesheets between Cloud and client devices is also discussed a bit here: https://github.com/bibledit/cloud/issues/753
Seems like it should be possible to share a stylesheet. In my case, it'd be nice if I could convert the Bibledit format of the stylesheet to the Paratext format, but that'd just be work for a programmer, and I suppose not too many would use it, if I'm the first one asking.

And I need the stylesheet as a raw file (TPV1.sty) to put in a folder to try to generate drafts from PTXprint.

The format used by PTXprint is not the format supported by Bibledit.
Bummer.

One way of getting such a .sty file would be to take the standard usfm.sty as used by Paratext, and then manually add or edit the styles as needed.
Guess that's what I'll have to do.

Perhaps there's another way of getting this?
Not that I know of.

Teus.

Teus Benschop

Apr 17, 2022, 11:41:51 AM4/17/22
to bibledit...@googlegroups.com
Hello Eric,

I am leaving the main fragments of the conversation below and insert comments were appropriate.

On Sun, 17 Apr 2022 at 00:00, Eric Chapman <ben...@etchapman.org> wrote:

[...]

On the Cloud it is stored in your case in this directory: /var/bibledit/bibledit-cloud/databases/styles/TPV1.

"If" this stylesheet were copied to Bibledit on macOS, then it would have to be copied to:

/Users/ec4/Library/Containers/org.bibledit.osx/Data/Documents/webroot/databases/styles/TPV1

But currently there's no way that Bibledit automatically synchronizes stylesheets. You would need to copy the entire directory by hand, to copy it from the Cloud, and then to place it directory "/Users/ec4/Library/Containers/org.bibledit.osx/Data/Documents/webroot/databases/styles/TPV1".

The topic of sharing stylesheets between Cloud and client devices is also discussed a bit here: https://github.com/bibledit/cloud/issues/753
Seems like it should be possible to share a stylesheet.

Yes, but only sharing it manually, not automatically. You can copy the stylesheet by hand.

Teus