Australia: Severe Storms, Flash floods, landslips hit Victoria

Pastor Dale Morgan

Aug 10, 2010, 8:40:57 PM8/10/10
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
Perilous Times and Climate Change

Australia: Severe Storms, Flash floods, landslips hit Victoria

    * From: AAP
    * August 11, 2010 6:54AM

MELBOURNE will escape the strong winds and heavy rain that has hit the southwest of the state causing flash flooding and landslips.

Scott Williams, senior forecaster at the Bureau of Meteorology, says Warrnambool and the Otway Ranges have copped 60 mls of rain overnight accompanied by strong winds.

The State Emergency Service reported flooding at Port Fairy and a landslip at Skenes Creek along the Great Ocean Road.

Melbourne is likely to miss the full force of the bad weather, although wind and rain are expected to arrive later today.

"It's been delayed and I don't think it will be as bad as we first thought," Mr Williams said.

"Melbourne is in the centre of the low, the rain band has spiralled around to the west and around to the north leaving us in the eye of the storm.

"Until it moves away later on today we are going to be spared the worst of the activity."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/flash-floods-landslips-hit-victoria/story-e6frfku0-1225903728481#ixzz0wFlytRkP