Fwd: [CODE4LIB] A Guide to Distributed Digital Preservation

Nitin Borwankar

Mar 1, 2010, 2:01:31 PM3/1/10
to bib...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim, Jack,

Here's some email from a conversation at Couchio - I think this dovetails well with  bibjson BKN and bibcurator,
Do you want to reach out to Benjamin ?

Nitin Borwankar
nborw...@gmail.com

-
Begin forwarded message:

From: Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Date: March 1, 2010 9:53:16 AM PST
To: Jan Lehnardt <j...@couch.io>, Nitin Borwankar <ni...@couch.io>
Subject: Fwd: [CODE4LIB] A Guide to Distributed Digital Preservation

Hey Jan and Nittin,

This was just posted to the code4lib list. The "best" part:

"Replication and distribution hold out the promise of indefinite preservation of materials without degradation"

Obviously, replication is a growing field/concern/option to the library community. It'll mostly be a matter of figuring out where CouchDB can fit *now* and then working with librarian techs to find place it would make sense in the future.

I'll be continuing my promotion of CouchDB as an option for them. Subject Guides and potentially Bibliographic record sharing (ala MARC records) are likely a good place to start.

To that end, I pushed for a MARC.json format (currently, there are binary and XML formats) to potentially facilitate that. However, I don't yet know how such sharing is initiated, where those MARC records generally live, and how/when replication needs to happen.

Personally, I love to the idea as CouchDB as a research "dump" location with the option to merge/share research via Couch's by researchers, libraries, etc.

At any rate, I'm happy to discuss this whenever and in however much depth. :) Just let me know.

Later,
Benjamin

Mar 3, 2010, 10:04:05 AM3/3/10
to bibjson
Just FYI -- We've had regular conversation with Educopia (formerly Meta-Archive), as they were part of a small group of large NDIIPP first-round funded projects. We also have a separately funded IMLS project in this space (to do policy-based, auditable, limited-trust replication) When reading this document, keep in mind that it presupposes a LOCKSS PLN framework (which itself implies a particular trust-model) and also particular loadings on the term "replication".

In particular, the primary object of replication in this framework is the replication of the data objects, which is addressed by the LOCKSS platform. WRT to bibdata, they've developed a union catalog approach (I think) which integrates with the LOCKSS platform. To dovetail with them, I think you'd want to be able to propose how couch etc would integrate with LOCKSS.

best,

Micah

Nitin Borwankar

Mar 3, 2010, 10:25:42 AM3/3/10
to bib...@googlegroups.com
Hi Micah,

This is good to know - I will look up these technologies for my own edification.  However my email forward was to suggest that the person in question Benjamin Young might be a good person to pull into the bibjson effort as
a) he is looking for a JSON based bib format
b) he is quite knowledgeable w.r.t. CocuhDB
c) he seems to be interested in applying a) b) above to the library space

Nitin

Nitin Borwankar
nborw...@gmail.com