Uses of BibJSON

Benjamin

Nov 6, 2009, 7:56:55 PM11/6/09
to bibjson
Hey folks,

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts as to how BibJSON datasets will
be used. The purposes which come immediately to my mind are:

1. Discovery. Users find additional works meeting a given criteria.
This would most likely be works by a given author, but could
conceivably be works in a certain publication, with a certain
affiliation, etc.

2. Citation confirmation for access. A user with an incomplete
citation for an article they wish to read finds the information they
need to access the original.

3. Citation confirmation for description. A user with an incomplete
citation for a work finds the information they need in order to
include the work in a bibliography or citation.

4. Automatic generation of bibliographies. This was the original
purpose of bibtex. This implies that BibJSON datasets should retain,
or be able to retain, all the information necessary to properly format
a bibliography in a variety of styles.

5. Sharing of bibliographic information. This is normally a prelude to
one of the other uses. Sharing can happen between individuals, but
sharing can also be automated so that one system can harvest data from
another, or so that two systems could mirror each other.

6. Exploration. A user browses the dataset. Whatever the information
need of the user may be, an easy to browse dataset will provide the
best user experience.

Do these make sense? Did I leave anything out? Are they all in the
scope of this project?

Looking forward to your responses,

Benjamin Kalish

Benjamin

Nov 10, 2009, 11:36:24 PM11/10/09
to bibjson
Hey everyone! I'm still hoping to see some replies to this thread. So
far all the use cases I've seen have been for how a various types of
bibliographic data would get translated into BibJSON. I think we also
need to think of use cases where BibJSON data is used to create some
benefit for a user.

All the best,

Ben