Chunking content

1 view

Benjamin Kalish

Nov 5, 2009, 11:09:11 PM11/5/09
to bib...@googlegroups.com
Ironically, I was planning a second post to this group in which I would discuss the use of subject lines and appropriate chunking of content *before* I managed to send that last message with a completely inadequate subject line.

Anyways, I simply wanted to encourage everyone to try to keep each email sent to this group focused on a single topic. Not only is it easier to follow the thread of a conversation when it focuses on a single issue, but it will improve retrieval when searching the archives. There may not be much in the archives at this point, but that won't always be true. When a new BibJSON user comes across the group, discussions with subjects such as "appropriate text encodings" or "representation of authors' names in the new spec" will be of more value than a discussion with a subject like "reactions". In general, I like to think that if your subject line doesn't adequately describe the content, you may be trying to say too much in one email.

Smaller, more specific emails can also save us time. It is easier to tell whether or not such an email is relevant to our needs or interests!

Just a bit of unrequested, preemptive preachiness from a knowledge management student who is well aware of his own inconsistent application of knowledge management skills,

Benjamin Kalish
4 Lawn Ave, Apt 2L
Northampton, MA  01060-2221
Phone: 413-687-7738