WHMS Weekly: 4/8/23

West Hills Middle School

Apr 8, 2023, 10:33:58 AM4/8/23
to bhsd-whms-ga...@googlegroups.com
West Hills Middle School

Broadcast News

April 8, 2023

Dear West Hills School Community:

It was great to have students back in the building after a week off for Spring Break.  The excitement was evident as work is underway in constructing the kindergarten classrooms for Fall of 2023.  All impacted classrooms are moved and functioning in their new spaces.  A huge thank you to all of our teachers and staff that spent many hours moving classrooms.  Spring brings lots of energy to the building and it was particularly enjoyable to see so many smiling faces during the kickoff of spring sports this week!

As we turn our attention to next week, there are a number of important upcoming events. A gentle reminder to please review our P-SAT and M-STEP news items as our 8th grade will be taking the P-SAT on Wednesday, April 12.  As a result, students in grades 4, 5, 6, & 7 have NO SCHOOL on Wednesday, April 12.  M-STEP testing for all other grade levels at West Hills will occur throughout the months of April and into mid-May.  Our winter (taken in December and January) FastBridge testing reports were sent home for elementary students on 4/7/23 and our middle school reports will be sent home on 4/10/23.  Please note, the FastBridge assessments are administered three times a year and teachers utilize this information to guide their instruction.  Additionally, on Wednesday, April 12, our elementary teachers will be hosting our Virtual Spring Conferences.  As a reminder, these conferences were set up by classroom teacher request.  As always, please do not hesitate to reach out to your child's teacher with any questions or concerns. See the broadcast messages below for more details and other important news items.

Please mark your calendars for an important upcoming calendar CHANGE.  Friday, April 21 is now a NO SCHOOL Day.   We will NOT be changing the A/B calendar so we will have two B days in a row (Thursday, 4/20, and Monday, 4/24).

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So sail away from the safe harbour. Explore, Dream, Discover.”
–Mark Twain

Andy Gignac
Principal
West Hills Middle School
Bloomfield Hills Schools
Twitter: @AndyGignac

A/B Schedule: Click HERE for the A/B Calendar from Feb.-June!
Mon., Apr. 10 - A Day
Tues., Apr. 11 - B Day
Wed., Apr. 12 - PSAT – Only 8th Grade – ½ Day of School 8:25 a.m. – 11:50 a.m.
Thurs., Apr. 13 - A Day
Fri., Apr. 14 - B Day

KEY DATES
Wed., April 12  PSAT Testing for 8th Grade - No School 4th-7th Grade
Wed., April 12 Virtual 4th-5th Grade Progress Conferences 3:45 p.m. – 6:45 p.m.
Fri., April 14 End of 3rd Quarter (6th/7th/8th)
Thurs., April 20 PTO Meeting 9:30 a.m.
Fri., April 21 No School (Full Day of PD for Teachers)

Updated Information for April 11-13

2022-23 BHS Calendar At-A-Glance (updated 4/5/23)

Calendar Change

This year the first day of Eid will fall on April 21, 2023. When originally predicted, it was scheduled for Saturday, April 22 and April 21 was scheduled as a half day.

When BHS recently learned that Eid would fall on April 21 (not April 22), the district looked into the state counting requirements for hours and days in school, which suggested we would not be able to switch the half day to a no school day. However, after performing an independent audit and revisiting the calendar, the district has been able to confirm that we can offer April 21 as a no school day and May 9 will become a full day.

We understand that changing the calendar is challenging for some of our families. With Eid following the lunar calendar, this is something that may occur from time-to-time in order to ensure Eid is a no school day.

It is important to note that because Ramadan is observed based on the lunar calendar, the first day of the month may vary from sect to sect, mosque to mosque, and some families may have observances that differ by a day or two. It should be noted that the majority of Muslims in North America however have recently been following the astronomical calculations in their observance.

The State of Michigan is requiring that all 8th graders take the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test, a paper & pencil assessment more commonly referred to as the PSAT.  The state requires that the exam be administered on Wednesday, April 12. There is no school Wednesday, April 12 for our students in grades 4, 5, 6 and 7.

8th graders should report to West Hills no later than 8:15 a.m.  All students, except those with extended testing time who have been communicated with by building staff, will be dismissed at approximately 11:55 a.m.  Buses will run in the morning and at dismissal for students who are regularly scheduled for bus transportation.  We encourage all students and families to arrive a little earlier than usual at bus stops in the morning so that everything moves smoothly on Wednesday morning.

Please make sure that your 8th grader gets plenty of sleep Tuesday night and has a good breakfast prior to coming to school.  Our food service team will be providing breakfast that day.

8th Graders SHOULD Bring:
-A supply of sharpened #2 pencils (mechanical pencils are not allowed)

The following items are not allowed in the testing room but can be stored in lockers:
-Backpacks
-Electronic devices such as cell phones, smart watches Chromebooks, etc  All of these items must be turned off.

8th-grade students recently received a copy of the PSAT 8/9 Student Guide from their teacher. Here is the link to the online version: PSAT 8/9 Student Guide as well as the MDE Family Letter about State Testing resources.

Some Additional Details for 8th Graders on April 12

  • 8th-grade students will have an assembly discussing the PSAT on April 11

  • For those who did not eat at home, breakfast will be served as “grab and go” as students arrive prior to the start of testing.

  • Report to school in time to BE SEATED IN assigned classroom by 8:25 a.m.

  • Buses will pick up 8th-grade students near their regular morning time.

  • School will be dismissed at approximately 11:55 a.m.

It is extremely important for all 8th graders to be in school on April 12.

The test administration will begin promptly at 8:25.  If you have any questions, please contact West Hills 8th grade counselor, Ms. Schlenker at cschl...@bloomfield.org

M-Step testing begins in April.  Please take note of the testing windows for your child below. Block teachers will post their specific testing times on their Google Classroom pages as soon as they are available. Teachers have access to practice sessions provided by the state, and have been encouraged to allow students to explore these assessment samples.

Thank you in advance for all your efforts to make M-Step testing a positive experience. Best practice informs us that several factors influence test outcomes:

  • Arriving at school well rested and after having a healthy breakfast.
  • Approaching the test with a positive attitude.
  • Taking your time, doing your best, and asking for clarification, when needed.

Updated M-Step Testing Window Dates

  • April 10 – May 19 (for all grade levels)

Grade Levels and M-STEP Content Area Information

  • 4th grade: ELA & Math
  • 5th grade: ELA, Math, Science, and Social Studies
  • 6th grade: ELA & Math
  • 7th grade: ELA & Math
  • 8th grade: Science and Social Studies

MDE Family Letter about State Testing

Please make sure to read the District News below for any BH High School related items that may affect your current 8th grader. You can also update your weekly newsletter subscriptions in your Parent Portal to include the BH High School weekly update, so you don't miss out on information for incoming 9th grade families such as orientation, fine arts night, sports try-outs, club information and much more.

Order your 2023 yearbook by clicking HERE or call 1-877-767-5217.  See the yearbook flyer by clicking HERE.

Lists were updated on Thursday, 3/2/23, on the media center wall with the names of students who have purchased a copy.  We currently have 297 students of 482 students have ordered a yearbook.

Learner Profile Trait Focus for April: Balanced

Spotlight on the IB

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/9JpGs4jcsJu3n7uxM5C0wYdkY2Bw-8kaF5_PIhV7na2kQtsQlRqywMPFGGh_PO3Vpo0b7S_aZzsyK0pUMhs9U5zWFyT1IQbRX33pqdLzPvK7B9pxYmO80SSDOD9DyGSZ4iqS6IBB

"Balance is the key to everything. What we do, think, say, eat, feel, they all require awareness, and through awareness we can grow." – Koi Fresco

    As an IB Learner, I am Balanced. I work to stay organized, use my time wisely, and be healthy. With this learner profile attribute, I show commitment towards my learning and show self-discipline and responsibility.

    I understand the importance of balancing different aspects of my life-intellectual, physical, and emotional to achieve well-being for myself and others. I recognize my interdependence with other people and with the world in which I live.

Parent Resources:

  1. Video on the Learner Profile: Balanced

  2. Eat, Play, Grow website for healthy balanced nutrition and physical activities for kids.

  3. Mindfulness for Kids

  4. Pediatric Coping Skills

Kristen Vigier
IB Teacher Leader and k-12 Social Studies Teacher Leader
kvi...@bloomfield.org

Sports Equipment

Please click HERE for the latest information about West Hills spring sports for students in grades 6, 7 & 8. This season includes Girls Soccer, Girls Lacrosse, 7/8 Baseball, Softball, Boys Tennis, and Track & Field. Please refer questions directly to the respective team coach.  Work continued this past week to secure a tennis coach and we hope to have more communication regarding the tennis season early this coming week.

You can find the schedule for games and meets HERE. You can even sign up to receive a reminder about your student's sports competition.

Please watch for additional information from the District with updates about middle school spring sports, provided by Athletic Director Avis Najor (avn...@bloomfield.org)

If you qualify for free or reduced lunch, your pay to participate fee may be waived. We do not want any student to miss the opportunity to participate in athletics or clubs due to financial hardship. Please contact Mr. Gignac, West Hills Principal, at agig...@bloomfield.org

This is a reminder for students who plan to attend home athletic games and other school events after school must go home and come back to school for the event. This message excludes students participating in the actual game or event who are under the supervision of their coach or other adults associated with the event.

As we head into the Spring sports season, we ask that students attending home athletic events first go home before returning to school.

Additionally, if your child participates in a club or sport, students must be picked up immediately after the meeting or practice has ended.  Students will not be allowed to wait at the front/back of the school, to go down to the gym to wait for a sibling, or to watch a sporting event without supervision.  For their own safety and your peace of mind, we want our students to be under supervision at all times.

Please be advised that effective immediately, ALL volunteers, including parents assisting with events and/or attending field trips, need to have a background check completed prior to volunteering. Click HERE for the Bloomfield Hills Schools Volunteer Background Check form. Forms need to be completed and submitted at least one week prior to volunteering. Please email completed forms to our Human Resources department, attn. Debbie Steaban at dste...@bloomfield.org

Nut Allergy

West Hills Middle School continues to be a nut-restricted school. As a reminder, this also includes all field trips, sporting events, and all other before and after school events. Please carefully read and review all food packaging prior to sending food items to school. For further information on food allergies, consult www.foodallergy.org. We appreciate in advance your full cooperation.

Black Hawks Booster MTG

We are very excited to share that BHAC (Bloomfield Hills Athletic Committee) and Bloomfield Boosters are joining forces to be a more complete, efficient, proactive support group for 6th-12th grade athletics!

We appreciate the time and energy the current Bloomfield Booster board has given in supporting our athletic programs over the last few years. We also understand their desire to move on, as their students have graduated, to new interests and challenges.  So, we are looking for current Bloomfield residents to serve on next year's Bloomfield Booster board.

This Nomination Committee has been assigned to initiate this process by announcing a call for candidates, interested in making a difference by supporting our BH athletes and the athletic department.

The list of board positions, including responsibilities, is below with the nominating link.  You are welcome to nominate someone else, with their consent, or yourself. The only prerequisite is that you currently reside in Bloomfield Hills Schools.

We are extremely excited about this growth, and after exploring Sport Booster clubs in surrounding districts, we believe this is a critical step in establishing Bloomfield as a magnet for our community's strongest athletes, and programs that consistently teach our students life lessons through athletics.

Proposed Board Positions:

  1. Past President - Alumni relations, Non Voting (returning John Roberts)
  2. President  - (nominee Debbie Guettler)
  3. President Elect - (nominee Patsy Bugajewski)
  4. Secretary - record and post minutes, and publicize the meeting dates.
  5. Treasurer - Create, manage and post BB’s yearly budget, for complete transparency.
  6. Treasurer Elect - Assist Treasurer, and act as financial resource for sport boosters.
  7. Board Member - OUTREACH (Community Nights, Welcome Back event, work w/ BHAC PTO reps)
  8. Board Member - RECRUITMENT of future BHHS athletes, and support of current athletes pursuing College athletics, i.e. college signing days.
  9. Board Member- RECOGNITION (Hall of Fame and Derby)
  10. Board Member - COORDINATION of sport boosters (best practices, synch team spirit stores, varsity jackets, and new booster club support).  (Returning Board member and current nominee, Brian Boike)

Join the Black Hawk team!

John Roberts, Debbie Guettler, Patsy Bugajewski, and Brian Boike

Bloomfield Booster Board Nomination Form

NOTICE Calendar Updates and Changes

No School for Kindergarten on May 12, 2023
On Friday, May 12, the Bloomfield Hills Schools elementary schools will host an orientation for the incoming kindergarten students and their parents & guardians (Class of 2036). We are excited to showcase our kindergarten experience and in order to host incoming kindergarten students, our current kindergarten students will not attend school on this day.

Standardized Test Schedule April 11-13, 2023

April 11, 2023

  • Kindergarten through Grade 8 regular school day
  • Grades 9, 10, 12 - late start at 12:15 p.m.
  • Grade 11 - M-STEP testing in the morning, classes in the afternoon

April 12, 2023

  • Kindergarten through Grade 7 - no school
  • Grade 8 - PSAT testing arrival 8:20 a.m. - dismissal 1:25
  • Grade 9 PSAT testing arrival at 7:45 a.m; dismissal 11:30
  • Grade 11 SAT testing arrival at 11:30 a.m.; dismissal 1:30 p.m.
  • Grades 10 and 12 - no school

April 13, 2023

  • Kindergarten through Grade 8 regular school day
  • Grades 9 and 12 - late start at 12:15 p.m.
  • Grade 10 PSAT testing in the morning, classes in the afternoon
  • Grade 11 ACT Work Keys in the morning, classes in the afternoon

Summer Camps
Jr Equestrian Team

Join the Jr. Equestrian Team! Compete in the MIHA as a rider or groom and make new friends/ Learn more at the Information Meeting on March 14th. The meeting will be via Zoom. Fill out the Google form to receive the link.

Lacrosse

We are happy to be restarting this program, including a 5th/6th grade team and a 7th/8th grade team!

Practices and Home games will be hosted at Fox Hills (1661 Hunters Ridge Dr, Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304). Practices will be Monday/Wednesday/Friday from 5:30-7:00 pm, starting the week after spring break on Monday, April 3rd.

Coaches are Zoya Banash and Natalie Lindstrom, current Oakland University lacrosse athletes. There will be a parent/player information meeting in the next few weeks to discuss the season and meet the coaches, done in correspondence with the high school team so the middle school girls can meet some of the players and coaches at that level.

Sign-Up Online

Join FIRST Robotics; ages 7-14

Is your child interested in building LEGO robots? Or loves taking things apart to see how they work? Are they curious about programming? Do you want to be part of an exciting program that brings people together and helps build STEM communities?

Join Bloomfield FIRST Robotics!

FIRST LEGO League introduces science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) to children ages 7-14 through fun, exciting hands-on learning. Participants gain real-world problem-solving experiences through a guided, global robotics program, helping today’s students and teachers build a better future together.

Do you want more information about the program? Sign up to receive the latest updates, including registration information. Join the Bloomfield Robotics Email List

Flag Football Youth
Deposit Funds for Lunch Accounts

Calendar

April 8, 2023
All day
April 12, 2023
All day
April 12, 2023
9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
April 13, 2023
9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
April 20, 2023
9:30 AM - 10:30 AM

District News

What's Happening at Other Schools

Recreation News

Community News

Facebook TwitterInstagram

West Hills Middle School  |  2601 Lone Pine Road  | West Bloomfield, MI 48323
www.bloomfield.org/whms248.341.6100

Manage Your Subscription Settings