WHMS Weekly: 5/20/23

West Hills Middle School

May 20, 2023, 9:28:24 AM5/20/23
to bhsd-whms-ga...@googlegroups.com

Broadcast News

May 20, 2023

Dear West Hills School Community:

Congratulations to our 6th-8th Grade Band and Orchestras on their final performance of the year this past Monday.  Under the guidance and direction of Mr. Erde and Mrs. Lucas, our students filled the gymnasium with an evening of music.  This week also featured the start of the BHS Art in the Hills exhibit at the Bloomfield Township Library.  This is an annual event (running through May 29) putting the incredible talents of our students on display.  Thank you to Ms. Bushon and all the students for sharing their visual art masterpieces with the community!

A couple potential action items from our district office:

  • If you are interested in your child attending the summer learning program, please register in the next few days. Registration for summer learning closes on May 26.
  • The Board of Education is seeking community feedback on the naming of the early childhood education buildings in our district. Please complete this survey, which will be open through May 31, 2023.

As we look ahead to this coming week, we look forward to celebrating the 8th-grade students who will be inducted into the National Junior Honor Society on Wednesday evening.  Ms. Schlenker has been communicating with those students and preparing them for the ceremony.

Friday, May 26, is a big day for all of our 8th-grade students as they do not report to WHMS that day.  Instead, Bloomfield Hills High School has a special "move-up" visit planned as they attend BHHS that day.  See the article below with additional details, including morning bus transportation routes if needed.  The 4th-7th grade students attend school at WHMS for a typical half day (11:40 a.m. dismissal) leading into Memorial Day Weekend.  We will have no school on Monday, May 29.

Please take a look at the articles related to 4/5 Field Day and Packing our Media Center.  Volunteers are being sought for these two activities.

“True patriotism springs from a belief in the dignity of the individual, freedom and equality not only for Americans but for all people on earth...” – Eleanor Roosevelt

Andy Gignac
Principal
West Hills Middle School
Bloomfield Hills Schools
Twitter: @AndyGignac

A/B Schedule: Click HERE for the A/B Calendar from Feb.-June!
Mon., May 22 - B Day
Tues., May 23 - A Day
Wed., May 24 - B Day
Thurs., May 25 - A Day
Fri., May 26 - B Day - 1/2 Day of School; 8th Gr @ BHHS (Dismissal at 11:40 a.m. for 4th-7th @ WHMS)

KEY DATES
Wednesday, May 24  8th Grade NJHS Induction Ceremony 6:30 p.m.
Friday, May 26 1/2 Day of School; 8th Gr @ BHHS (Dismissal at 11:40 a.m. for WHMS)
Monday, May 29 No School
Friday, June 2 4th-Grade Field Trip to Cranbrook (See info from classroom teacher)
Tuesday, June 6 5th-Grade Students "Move-Up" Field Trip to the Farm/BHHS 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Wednesday, June 7 6th-Grade Students "Move-Up" Field Trip to the Farm/BHHS 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Wednesday, June 7 5th-Grade Band/Orchestra Concert 7:00 p.m.
Thursday, June 8 7th-Grade Students "Move-Up" Field Trip to the Farm/BHHS 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Monday, June 12 4th-8th Grade Chromebook Turn-In Day (Device and Charging Cord)
Monday, June 12  6th-8th Grade Choir Concert 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, June 13 4th and 5th-Grade Students Field Day 12:40 - 2:45 p.m. (See article to volunteer)
Tuesday, June 13 8th-Grade Party @ Paradise Park (See article)
Wednesday, June 14  8th-Grade Musical Performances 6:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
Thursday, June 15  5th-Grade Recognition Ceremony 2:00 - 2:45 p.m.
Friday, June 16  8th-Grade Recognition Ceremony 9:15 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. (8th-Grade students dismissed to families at conclusion)

2022-23 BHS Calendar At-A-Glance (updated 4/5/23)

Friday, May 26, is a half day of school with dismissal at 11:40 a.m. Grades 4-7 report to WHMS.  8th grade students report directly to the Bloomfield Hills High School for their Move-Up Day experience.  See article with details.

There is no school on Monday, May 29 in observance of Memorial Day.

The summer weather is approaching us and the end of the year is just around the corner. There is one event that needs to happen before we can close out the school year…Field Day!!!

Field Day is going to be held on Tuesday June 13th from 12:40 - 2:45. There are a variety of events, and we could use your help. If you are able to volunteer for this fun day,

1) Fill out the background check linked:  West Hill Background Check Info

*If you have already filled out this information this year, you do not need to fill it out again.

2) Select from one of the activites found in the link:  2023 West Hills Field Day Volunteer Sign-up

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me ahead of June 13th at dsch...@bloomfield.orgVolunteers may report to me at behind West Hills after checking in with the office.  Students will want to bring their own water bottle to stay hydrated.

Thank you for your support in making the day a fun and memorable experience!

Sincerely,Dave Schadler

Our media center needs help with taking inventory of all of our educational materials.  After we inventory the collection digitally we will be boxing each section.  Please review the available slots below and click on the button to sign up. Thank you!

ALL volunteers at BHS need to have an annual background check completed prior to volunteering. Forms must be completed and submitted at least one week before volunteering. Please email completed forms to our Human Resources department, attn. Debbie Steaban at dste...@bloomfield.org.  A link to the background check form can be found in this broadcast's article.

Thank you!  Mrs. Laura Amatulli

The fifth-graders will be studying “Human Growth & Development” as part of our end-of-the-year science and health benchmarks on Monday, May 22 and Wednesday, May 24.  Human Growth and Development does not mean “Sex Education.”  It means that students will learn about the disease AIDS, the development of a baby, and the changes boys and girls go through as they develop into adults.  Please see the Parent Letter was sent by your child's 5th-grade classroom teacher for details on content, previewing material, and granting permission for participation.

8th Grade Party: It's Time to Celebrate the End of Middle School!
8th Grade Party: RSVPs Needed!
8th Graders! It's time to celebrate the end of middle school!
When: June 13, 5:30-8:00 pm (rain date is June 15)
Where: Paradise Park in Novi
What: Dinner, go karts, mini golf, trampolines & more!
Cost: $40
RSVP by: May 15  ** Please submit your RSVP by Monday, May 22!
Send Venmo to @Jaime-Ben with 8th Grade Party noted, or you can send cash in to the office with 8th Grade Party noted and your child's name on the envelope. We welcome any additional monetary donations to help make this party a blast for the kids. Thanks in advance! The goal is for all students to be able to attend.  Contact Principal Andy Gignac if school sponsorship is requested.  Contact Karen Kaplan with questions regarding the party at karend...@gmail.com.

NJHS Induction Ceremony
May 24 - 6:30 p.m.  Ms. Schlenker recently emailed families of students who achieved NJHS status more details.

Move-Up Day for 8th graders at BH High School
May 26, 2023, from 7:55 to 10:30 a.m.
See the article with details including bus routes

6th-8th-Grade Choir Concert
June 12 - 7:30 p.m.

8th-Grade Musical
There are two casts for the musical performances. Please reference Mrs. Pierre's emails with rehearsal and other times.
June 14: In-School Performances at 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
June 14: Evening Performances at 6:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.

8th-Grade Recognition Ceremony
Save the Date/Time - Friday, June 16 at 9:15 a.m. in the WHMS Cafeteria.  This event is approximately an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes.  8th-Grade students are dismissed to their families at the conclusion of the event.  Students do typically dress up for this event.  We have a practice of not pulling younger siblings from class for this event.

BHHS Broadcast Messages and Updates
Please make sure to read the District News below for any BH High School related items that may affect your current 8th grader. You can also update your weekly newsletter subscriptions in your Parent Portal to include the BH High School weekly update, so you don't miss out on information for incoming 9th grade families such as orientation, fine arts night, sports try-outs, club information and much more.

Grade 8 Move Up Day

Grade 8 Move Up Day will take place on Friday, May 26, 2023, from 7:55 to 10:30 a.m. at BH High School, 4200 Andover Road. Upon arrival, students will be directed to the auditorium where their orientation activities will begin.

Eighth graders will have the opportunity to learn more about academics, athletics, and all that Bloomfield Hills High School has to offer. They will also engage in a variety of team-building activities throughout the morning.

Transportation:

  • District bus transportation is provided for all BHS eighth graders to Bloomfield Hills High School for a 7:55 a.m. arrival during the regular high school pick-up schedule.
  • BHMS bus routes
  • EHMS bus routes
  • WHMS bus routes
  • If you have specific transportation related questions, please call the BHS Transportation Department at 248.341.6290
  • There is no bus transportation after the orientation. Parents are responsible for student pick up from Bloomfield Hills High School at 10:30 a.m.
  • Carpooling is strongly encouraged as there will be approximately 400 eighth grade students on site, all being picked up at the same time.

Please note that BHS eighth grade students may not remain at the high school, nor may they return to their middle school on this day. Students not currently enrolled in Bloomfield Hills Schools should check with their current school as to whether they should return to their respective schools at the conclusion of the orientation session.

BH High School looks forward to having your child attend Bloomfield Hills High School and hope their next four years will be filled with great joy, wonderful memories, and unlimited success!

The newly forming South Hills Middle School PTO will have a meeting at the Bloomfield Township Library (corner of Lone Pine and Telegraph) on May 25, 2023 at 7:00 p.m.

  • Meet Parents from BHMS and WHMS
  • PTO Executive Board Slate will be proposed
  • New Bylaws will be proposed

Please consider attending to help establish our new school's PTO!

4th and 5th Grade Families - Please see this note below inviting you to join in on the fun for Lone Pine's end of the year carnival.

Join us on Friday, June 16th from 5:30-8:30pm on the lower fields for the annual PTO Spring Carnival! This year the Carnival will include games and prizes, bounce houses, DJ and dancing, airbrush tattoos, face painting, balloon art, food trucks, ice cream, cotton candy AND a silent auction with some amazing prizes! We hope you will join us! Tickets are $15/child in advance or $20 at the door (food truck purchases not included). See this flyer to order your tickets today!

BHHS Summer Testing Out

On Wednesday, May 3, our fifth-grade students put their hard work and collaboration on display during the PYP Exhibition.   Congratulations and sincere thanks to our students, staff, families, and volunteers who made this incredible event happen!  Click HERE to view the video, the schedule for cable TV, and the evening's brochure.

The IB Learner Profile Trait for May: COMMUNICATOR

The IB Learner Profile trait for May is “Communicator.”  Students who are communicators are able to think and communicate in more than one language. They can express their ideas by speaking, drawing, and writing. They can also communicate using mathematical language and symbols. Ultimately, we strive for our students to work effectively and willingly in collaboration with others.

How can parents help to develop students who are Communicators at home?

  • Encourage your child to stay in touch with relatives and friends who live in other states or countries by writing letters, using the phone or sending an email.

  • When working on mathematics homework, encourage your child to explain his/her answer to you orally or by drawing a picture.

  • Work with your child to improve his/her listening skills.  Being a good listener is an important part of communicating effectively with others.

Communication resources for parents:

Kristen Vigier
IB Teacher Leader and k-12 Social Studies Teacher Leader
kvi...@bloomfield.org

Our WHMS Dress Code was adjusted to its current form several years ago by a committee of teachers, administrators, and parents.  The intent of the dress code is to provide much room for individuality, personal expression, and promotion of an inclusive environment while maintaining a standard for students' "place of business."  We acknowledge that shorts may not meet the fingertip standard found in the dress code.  The expectation is that shorts should be long enough to continuously cover the bottom when reaching down to pick something up. All undergarments should not be visible at any time.

Click HERE for a copy of the WHMS Dress Code.

Please be advised that effective immediately, ALL volunteers, including parents assisting with events and/or attending field trips, need to have a background check completed prior to volunteering. Click HERE for the Bloomfield Hills Schools Volunteer Background Check form. Forms need to be completed and submitted at least one week prior to volunteering. Please email completed forms to our Human Resources department, attn. Debbie Steaban at dste...@bloomfield.org

Pay-to-Participate Refund Request

If you paid a pay to participate fee for your student(s) for the 2021/2022 school year and the student did not participate in a sport or club, or if you paid a sports fee and your student only participated in a club, you may be entitled to a refund.

Please note, if your student attended a club meeting at least three times, the club fee is applicable. For sports, if they attended at least three meetings (intramural) or one game (travel), the sport fee is applicable and no refund will be issued.

Refund Request Form

We Want Your Feedback
Please share your thoughts and experiences about your child's school to help us make improvements.
Survey Request Early Childhood Building Names
Summer Learning now open!
Summer Camps
Bloomfield Boosters Meeting

Bloomfield Boosters (6th-12th Grade Athletics) General Meeting - May 22

We are excited to announce that the Bloomfield Boosters, which officially covers 6th-12th grade athletics but is also involved with K-5th rec programs, is being restructured. The "new" Bloomfield Boosters will be introduced at the general meeting on Monday, May 22 at 6:30 p.m., at the Booth Center, and the agenda will include voting on the new Bloomfield Booster Board, athletic updates for 6th-12th grades, and identifying goals for the 2023-24 seasons.

Here is the proposed slate for the 2023-24 Booster Board:

  • Past President - John Roberts
  • President - Debbie Guettler
  • President-Elect - Patsy Bugajewski
  • Secretary - Darcie Law.
  • Treasurer - Linda Gaines
  • Treasurer-Elect - waiting on confirmation
  • Sub-committee - Erica Holton
  • Athletes In Action Chair - Gina Parry
  • Outreach Chair - Jill Bednas; co-chair Genevieve Caffelli, BHAC PTO reps
  • Recruitment Chair - Lynne Gibson; co-chair Tony Hitchcock
  • Recognition Chair - Karen Kaplan; co-chair - Libby Holton
  • Booster Support Chair - Lisa Cooper; co-chair - Brian Boike, Shannon Curcuru

Email bhacat...@gmail.com for more information or to volunteer for any subcommittees.

Community event (baseball/softball)

Join us for the BHHS Baseball & Softball Community Night & Home Run Derby on Friday, May 26!  Softball HR Derby at 3pm, Youth Clinic (registration site on flyer) at 4pm, and Baseball Championship Derby Round at 5pm.

BHHS Softball and Baseball Community Night

Intro to Birding

Reconnect with nature at the Johnson Nature Center by joining us on a guided hike that reveals the wide, wonderful, and whimsical world of birds!

With an area that spans nearly 45 acres, the nature center has become a popular “stop-over” for migrating birds. This gives interested birders the opportunity to view them within several habitats the nature center offers, such as forest, prairie, and wetland. What birds will be spotted next? What are some crazy bird stories that have happened here? Is a bird a dinosaur in disguise? Find out all these things and more in this recurring program being held the last Saturday of the month, April through August.

Cost: $12 per person (1 year old and younger - Free)
All ages

Time: 8-10 am

Available Dates: May 27, June 24, July 29, Aug 26

Calendar

May 23, 2023
3:30 PM - 8:00 PM
May 24, 2023
6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
May 25, 2023
1:40 PM - 3:00 PM
May 25, 2023
3:30 PM - 8:00 PM
May 29, 2023
All day

District News

What's Happening at Other Schools

Recreation News

Community News

Facebook Twitter Instagram

West Hills Middle School  |  2601 Lone Pine Road  | West Bloomfield, MI 48323
www.bloomfield.org/whms248.341.6100

Manage Your Subscription Settings