WHMS Weekly: 6/9/23

West Hills Middle School

Jun 9, 2023, 7:55:11 PM6/9/23
to bhsd-whms-ga...@googlegroups.com
West Hills Middle School

Broadcast News

June 9, 2023

Dear West Hills School Community:

We had an amazing week filled with field trips and opportunities.  Our 5th-grade students put their talents on display as they showcased their skills on their instruments at Wednesday's concert.  A thank to Mrs. Lucas and Mr. Erde (his final concert in BHS) for their leadership throughout the school year.  The weather was beautiful this week providing the perfect setting for our 5th-7th grade Move-Up Day trips to the farm and high school, 5th grade Nature Center field trips, and 6th-grade Spanish trip to the DIA and Mexcian Town Restaurant.  Thank you to all the BHS Farm staff and BHHS leadership students for facilitating the events for Move-Up Day.

The week ahead is jam-packed with excitement, performances, and celebrations.  Monday evening is our final middle school choir concert.  Tuesday afternoon, our 4th and 5th grade PE teacher Mr. Schadler has organized a Field Day (rain or shine) for our elementary students.  We follow that Tuesday evening with our 8th-grade party at Paradise Park (rain date is Thursday).  Then our 8th-grade students take to the stage Wednesday evening with the performances of Beauty and the Beast!  Finally our 5th and 8th grade recognition ceremonies take place on Thursday and Friday mornings, respectively.  I do want to remind everyone that we have a practice of not calling siblings out of class to attend the ceremonies.

Please be sure to look over the article below related to our Student Chromebook Collection Process.  Our teachers did a pre-check this past week to help students and families prepare for our Monday, June 12 collection date.  We appreciate everyone's assistance in making this a smooth process.

Please Note the Following Calendar Dates

  • Thursday, June 15 is a half-day with a dismissal time of 11:30 a.m.  Students will follow an A-Day p.m. schedule.

  • Friday, June 16 is a half-day and our last day of school with a dismissal time of 11:40 a.m.!  Students will follow a B-Day a.m. schedule.

Looking for something fun to do tomorrow with the family that will also benefit a great cause?  Consider attending the 2023 Food Truck Rally at Orchard Mall from 11:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.  It looks to be a great time with food trucks, live music, free bounce houses and face painting!  Click HERE for more information.  All proceeds benefit youth assistance programs!

Please see this flyer for information on Enrichment Scholarships through the BYA.  The BYA works to support our community to ensure access for all to tutoring/academic assistance, extra-curricular activities, and summer enrichment experiences.

It is quite clear that the end of the school year is upon us, and next week marks the last week of school. We have completed a number of rigorous challenges, and now it is time to celebrate and reflect on a great school year and all the amazing decades together as a West Hills School Community.  We are planning a little surprise for each class Monday afternoon to commemorate the last year for the WHMS Warriors! It's busy; please reference our calendar and news items below for all the important information as we head down the home stretch!

"Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game."
-Michael Jordan

Andy Gignac
Principal
West Hills Middle School
Bloomfield Hills Schools
Twitter: @AndyGignac

A/B Schedule: Click HERE for the A/B Calendar from Feb.-June!
Mon., June 12 - B Day
Tues., June 13 - A Day
Wed., June 14 - B Day
Thurs., June 15 - A Day PM Schedule - 1/2 Day 11:30 a.m. Dismissal
Fri., June 16 - B Day AM Schedule - 1/2 Day 11:40 a.m. Dismissal

KEY DATES
Monday, June 12 4th-8th Grade Chromebook Turn-In Day (Device and Charging Cord)
Monday, June 12  6th-8th Grade Choir Concert 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, June 13 4th and 5th-Grade Students Field Day 12:40 - 2:45 p.m. (See article to volunteer)
Tuesday, June 13 8th-Grade Party @ Paradise Park 5:30-8:00 p.m. (See article)
Wednesday, June 14  8th-Grade Musical Performances 6:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
Thursday, June 15  5th-Grade Recognition Ceremony 10:00-10:45 a.m. (*Please note the time change due to the 1/2 day)
Thusday, June 15 Half Day with Dismissal at 11:30 a.m. (Please note this is a change from a full day)
Friday, June 16
8th-Grade Recognition Ceremony 9:15 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. (8th-Grade students dismissed to families at conclusion)
Friday, June 16 Half Day/Last Day of School (Dismissal at 11:40 a.m.)

2022-23 BHS Calendar At-A-Glance (updated 4/5/23)

Dear Middle School Families,

As we prepare for the end of the school year, we wanted to provide some information to help your child return their district Device in working order.  Our process is simple, we want to have our students prepare by doing a pre-check the week prior to final check-in.  Grade level teams will determine a date this week to do a pre-check with their students as WHMS is scheduled to turn-in devices on Monday, June 12.

Please have your child bring their Chromebook (w/case) and charging cable with them so they can pre-check these items with their classroom teacher.  The Pre-Check process will include review of the following items:

  • DEVICE IS MISSING ($300.00)

  • Chromebook Charger Returned ($30.00)

  • Device Damage/Functions (Power On, etc.)  ($50.00)

  • Case in good condition (all stickers must be removed) ($30.00)

  • Verify Barcode

We understand that cables and chargers might get mixed up at home with other devices, so please review the returned items carefully.  As stated in the back-to-school registration agreement, return of all original items is necessary to avoid fees. If items are missing or damaged, this will be an opportunity for you to prepare with payment for the Final Check-in process.  Please have your student bring a check (payable to Bloomfield Hills Schools).  If you have questions regarding the payment, please contact Mr. Gignac.

West Hills Middle School Final Check-In is scheduled for Monday, June 12, so please have your child bring their devices and fee payments (if applicable) to school with them on Monday!

With the end of the second semester upon us, we have items in our lost and found. Remind your child to check the lost and found area in and near the lobby.  The remaining lost and found Items, as well as any medication you may have in the WHMS office, can be picked up 8:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. Monday, June 19 and Tuesday, June 20.  All remaining lost and found items will be donated the following day.

Thursday, June 15 is a half-day with a dismissal time of 11:30 a.m.  Students will follow an A-Day p.m. schedule.

Friday, June 16 is a half-day and our last day of school with a dismissal time of 11:40 a.m.!  Students will follow a B-Day a.m. schedule.

June 15 Half Day

In order to ensure this summer’s transition runs smoothly and on-time, June 15, 2023 will now be a half day for K-8. Please note the dismissal times are different from a typical half day schedule. Wing Lake remains a full day on June 15.

  • BHHS at 12:10 p.m.
  • Middle Schools at 11:30 a.m.
  • Elementary Schools at 12:35 p.m.

June 16 is already scheduled as a half day and will follow the typical half day schedule of:

  • BHHS at 11 a.m.
  • Middle Schools at 11:40 a.m.
  • Elementary Schools at 12:25 p.m.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

The 2022-2023 yearbooks will be handed out Tuesday, June 13, 2023, to all students who ordered one and have no fines.  Please make sure any fines are paid for Chromebook turn-in in order to receive your yearbook on June 13.  Anyone who has outstanding fines will receive their yearbook on June 16.  Orders were completed through Jostens from August to April.

Didn't order one, but you'd love to have one?  No problem!  We have a limited number available on a first-come basis.  The cost is $45.  You can bring a check (payable to BHS) or cash to the WHMS office.

We are pleased to announce that we are hosting a recognition ceremony to acknowledge the completion of the elementary grades and to honor our fifth-grade students.  This event will take place in the cafeteria on Thursday, June 15, at 10:00 a.m.  Students should dress more formally as this event is intended to be a mini-version of the eighth-grade recognition ceremony occurring on Friday, June 16. We are so proud of the hard work and perseverance exhibited by our fifth-grade students this year.  We have a practice at West Hills of not pulling siblings from class to attend this ceremony.  Thank you!

8th Grade Recognition Assembly is scheduled for Friday, June 16 at 9:15 a.m. in the WHMS cafeteria.

  • 8th graders should arrive at West Hills at the normal school day start time.

    • The assembly is more formal in nature - students typically wear long pants and a dress shirt, shirt/tie, or sport coat, or a dress, skirt, or slacks.  The event will follow the school dress code.  Our goal in noting the formality of the event is to create a special atmosphere for our students and families, not to dictate what students will wear.

  • Guests will be able to enter through the main entrance and proceed to the cafeteria.

  • It is our practice at WHMS to not pull siblings from class to attend this event.

  • 8th-grade students (WHMS alums) will be dismissed to their families at the conclusion of the ceremony.

We look forward to celebrating the wonderful achievements of our students!

8th Grade Party: It's Time to Celebrate the End of Middle School!
8th Grade Party: RSVPs Needed!
8th Graders! It's time to celebrate the end of middle school!
When: June 13, 5:30-8:00 pm (rain date is June 15)
Where: Paradise Park in Novi
What: Dinner, go karts, mini golf, trampolines & more!
Contact Karen Kaplan with questions regarding the party at karend...@gmail.com.

6th-8th-Grade Choir Concert
June 12 - 7:30 p.m.  See communication from Mrs. Pierre.

8th-Grade Musical
There are two casts for the musical performances. Please reference Mrs. Pierre's emails with rehearsal and other times.
June 14: In-School Performances at 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
June 14: Evening Performances at 6:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.

8th-Grade Recognition Ceremony
Friday, June 16 at 9:15 a.m. in the WHMS Cafeteria we will celebrate the final 8th-grade class at West Hills.  This event is approximately an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes in length.  8th-Grade students are dismissed to their families at the conclusion of the event.  Students do typically dress up for this event.  We have a practice of not pulling younger siblings from class for this event.

BHHS Athletics Information for Incoming 9th Graders
Frequently Asked Questions:

  • Are there summer practices?
  • What season are certain sports offered?
  • How do we know who the coaches are?
  • Which sports are offered during which seasons?

Most of these can be answered with the help of this BHHS Athletic Schedule.  This is a “live” document and will be updated as coaches, sport boosters and the athletic department have additional information.  You can always reach out to the identified coach or booster parent with questions since their email is also provided.  If there is an interest in playing any of the fall sports, be sure to click on the link above to see when pre-season training/practices/camps/tryouts are being held this summer!

Note:  Students who are interested in playing football should fill out this Football Registration form by Monday, June 12th.  This will help the booster group as they must pre-order spirit wear in order for it to be ready for giving to the players at the August 5th BBQ.

There are also still some slots available for players to get their physical for the 2023-24 school year.  Use this signup genius link to register for June 13th between 5pm-7pm at BHHS.

BHHS Broadcast Messages and Updates
Please make sure to read the District News below for any BH High School related items that may affect your current 8th grader. You can also update your weekly newsletter subscriptions in your Parent Portal to include the BH High School weekly update, so you don't miss out on information for incoming 9th grade families such as orientation, fine arts night, sports try-outs, club information and much more.

The summer weather is approaching us and the end of the year is just around the corner. There is one event that needs to happen before we can close out the school year…Field Day!!!

Field Day is going to be held on Tuesday June 13th from 12:40 - 2:45.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me ahead of June 13th at dsch...@bloomfield.orgVolunteers may report to me at behind West Hills after checking in with the office.  Students will want to bring their own water bottle to stay hydrated.  Please note, in the event of inclement weather, a plan to move indoors is in place so that Field Day will still occur that day.

Thank you for your support in making the day a fun and memorable experience!

Sincerely, Dave Schadler

The IB Learner Profile Trait for June: REFLECTIVE

The school year is winding down and the final Learner Profile trait of the school year begins at the start of June.  This trait is fittingly ‘reflective’.   Throughout the school year, students and staff have walked their way through the ten Learner Profile traits, examining how these traits are embodied in themselves and others.  As the students move through these final weeks, teachers will ask them for their final reflections on their school year.

As an IB World School, reflection is a part of our student and our teacher practice.  So, consider taking some time over the weekend to reflect with your student on their school year and consider setting a goal or two to reach for in these last weeks of the school year.  We appreciate your efforts at home to help support the Learner Profile Traits each month.

A helpful year-end activity is to have students evaluate their growth in all areas of the Learner Profile:

Inquirers, Knowledgeable, Thinkers, Communicators, Principled, Open-Minded, Caring, Risk-Takers, Balanced, and Reflective.

  1. Model an interest in the outdoors.  Show your enthusiasm for getting outside and doing some fun things as a family such as hiking, fishing, visiting a wildlife refuge, bird-watching, and biking. A study at Cornell University has shown that children who fish, camp and spend time in the wild before age 11 are much more likely to grow up to be environmentally-minded and committed as adults (Wells, Nancy; 2006).

  1. Learn about the natural environment along with your student  through local, state and national programs and places. State Parks and National Parks are excellent examples, our E.L. Johnson Nature Center is a wonderful place to visit in the summer.

  1. Consider media balance this summer, and start at an early age to establish the habit of making good media choices. If there are family rules about screen time, children will be more likely to make choices involving outdoor activities.

Wishing everyone a wonderful and relaxing summer!

Kristen Vigier
IB Teacher Leader and k-12 Social Studies Teacher Leader
kvi...@bloomfield.org

Dear Eighth Grade Students and Families,

I am reaching out to you in my role on the new Bloomfield Boosters Board (athletics).  This week I have been visiting 8th graders during lunch to share some athletic information as they transition to Bloomfield Hills High School.

Students have had many great questions.  Some of them include:

  • Are there summer practices?
  • What season are certain sports offered?
  • How do we know who the coaches are?
  • Which sports are offered during which seasons?

I was able to generally answer many of these questions with the help of this BHHS Athletic Schedule.  This is a “live” document and will be updated as coaches, sport boosters and the athletic department have additional information.  You can always reach out to the identified coach or booster parent with questions since their email is also provided.  If there is an interest in playing any of the fall sports, be sure to click on the link above to see when pre-season training/practices/camps/tryouts are being held this summer!

Note:  Students who are interested in playing football should fill out this Football Registration form by Friday, June 9th.  This will help the booster group as they must pre-order spirit wear in order for it to be ready for giving to the players at the August 5th BBQ.

There are also still some slots available for players to get their physical for the 2023-24 school year.  Use this signup genius link to register for June 13th between 5pm-7pm at BHHS.

Sincerely,

Lynne Gibson
Bloomfield Boosters

4th and 5th Grade Families - Please see this note below inviting you to join in on the fun for Lone Pine's end of the year carnival.

Join us on Friday, June 16th from 5:30-8:30pm on the lower fields for the annual PTO Spring Carnival! This year the Carnival will include games and prizes, bounce houses, DJ and dancing, airbrush tattoos, face painting, balloon art, food trucks, ice cream, cotton candy AND a silent auction with some amazing prizes! We hope you will join us! Tickets are $15/child in advance or $20 at the door (food truck purchases not included). See this flyer to order your tickets today!

WHMS Sports Team Photos were taken this year!

Please contact Susan Adams Photography for an online link and password to view and purchase your player's photos.

Email: su...@susanadamsphoto.com   or   text: 248-252-1625

BHHS Summer Testing Out
Pay-to-Participate Refund Request

If you paid a pay to participate fee for your student(s) for the 2021/2022 school year and the student did not participate in a sport or club, or if you paid a sports fee and your student only participated in a club, you may be entitled to a refund.

Please note, if your student attended a club meeting at least three times, the club fee is applicable. For sports, if they attended at least three meetings (intramural) or one game (travel), the sport fee is applicable and no refund will be issued.

Refund Request Form

BHHS BOYS LACROSSE OFF SEASON TRAINING, INCLUDING RISING FRESHMEN!!

REGISTER NOW

Summer League:  June 14th thru July 26th (minus July 5th)

Games between 6:00-9:00 Wednesdays at  Seaholm High school

$75 Boys Lacrosse Off Season Summer League

Questions contact:  Coach Jerry Meter bhb...@gmail.com

Summer Camps
Intro to Birding

Reconnect with nature at the Johnson Nature Center by joining us on a guided hike that reveals the wide, wonderful, and whimsical world of birds!

With an area that spans nearly 45 acres, the nature center has become a popular “stop-over” for migrating birds. This gives interested birders the opportunity to view them within several habitats the nature center offers, such as forest, prairie, and wetland. What birds will be spotted next? What are some crazy bird stories that have happened here? Is a bird a dinosaur in disguise? Find out all these things and more in this recurring program being held the last Saturday of the month, April through August.

Cost: $12 per person (1 year old and younger - Free)
All ages

Time: 8-10 am

Available Dates: May 27, June 24, July 29, Aug 26

Calendar

June 9, 2023
3:30 PM - 7:30 PM
June 12, 2023
3:30 PM - 5:30 PM
June 12, 2023
7:30 PM - 8:30 PM
June 13, 2023
12:40 PM - 2:45 PM
June 13, 2023
12:40 PM - 2:45 PM

District News

What's Happening at Other Schools

Recreation News

Community News

Facebook TwitterInstagram

West Hills Middle School  |  2601 Lone Pine Road  | West Bloomfield, MI 48323
www.bloomfield.org/whms248.341.6100

Manage Your Subscription Settings