Harold Gene Johnston 1946 - 2022 - BHS Class of 1964

Tom Estes

Jan 20, 2022, 1:30:22 AM1/20/22
to Bishop News & Views
JOHNSTON HAROLD GENE2.jpg

Harold Gene Johnston passed away peacefully in his sleep at his home in Houston, Texas, five days short of his 76th birthday on January 12, 2022.  His health had been in decline for several years, but he had been surrounded by family on numerous occasions in his final weeks and days.  He was born on January 17, 1946, in Wichita Falls, Texas, to Harold Wayne Johnston and Madelaine Joan Lingo.

Harold had an interesting and sometimes difficult life.  His stepfather was in the military, and they lived in many different locations – including overseas.  Harold started school in England and always wanted to return there to visit and to pursue genealogical research but was only able to do so remotely.  He eventually ended up back in Texas for his teenage years and graduated from Bishop High School in 1964.  His leadership skills began early.  He served as President of the Student Council his senior year, and both he and his future wife were voted “Most Likely to Succeed.”  He was awarded a full scholarship to Rice University in Houston, Texas, and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in 1968 with a major in English.  Shortly before graduation in April 1968, he married Joann Adamson whom he had met in high school and dated in college.  He began his professional career as a high school English teacher in the Spring Branch Independent School District in Houston, Texas.  Harold later went back to college and received a Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemistry from the University of Houston.  With that degree, he worked a number of years for Champion International Paper Company in Pasadena, Texas, in both operations management and quality assurance.  As the paper industry declined, Harold studied financial markets and eventually started his own small business  as an investment advisor.  Harold’s last and perhaps greatest passion began when he introduced his children to the sport of swimming.  With his support, all three became excellent swimmers and water polo players.  After they graduated from high school, that passion continued.  On October 10, 2000, he began his last business – Bay Area Aquatics, Inc. – a year-round non-profit competitive swim club.  In various capacities over the years, all three children have served as coaches or board members for this club.  Harold actively coached swimmers for the last 21 years.  Even though he required the use of a wheelchair for the last several months, his last day of coaching was December 16, 2021.  Harold was a faithful member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since he was a youth.  As an adult, he served in various ward and stake leadership callings over the years including Young Men’s Advisor, Elders Quorum President, High Councilor, Executive Secretary to a Regional Representative, and most recently, 16 years as the Clear Lake 2nd Ward Financial Clerk.  Despite battling many medical issues including kidney failure and two kidney transplants over the last 34 years, Harold fought for life to the end.  In his earlier years he enjoyed playing football, basketball, and bowling.  In later years, he enjoyed genealogy research, coaching swimming, talking politics, stock market investing, watching most any kind of sport on TV – especially the Los Angeles Dodgers, and spending time with family.

Harold is survived by his loving wife, Joann (Adamson) Johnston; their three children – Jeaneen Michelle Dale and husband Jody Dale of Houston, Texas, Jennifer Joann Brown and husband Keith Brown of Houston, Texas, and Joshua David Johnston and wife Kiersten Sue (Braithwaite) Johnston of Midvale, Utah; 5 grandchildren – Kennedy Brown, Kaleb Brown, Kason Brown, Jaxon Dale and Lance Johnston; 5 half siblings – William Anthony (Billy) Yantis, Karen Ann Yantis, and Connie Oleta Yantis Noel all of Austin, Texas, and Judy Cordelia Epperson and Arthur Lee Epperson II of Arizona; and numerous nieces, nephews, cousins, and extended family.

He is preceded in death by his parents and his stepfather, Billy Dixon Yantis.

Services will be held on Saturday, January 22, 2022, at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at 1802 Gunwale Road, Houston, Texas 77062.  Visitation and viewing will be from 10 to 11 AM, and the funeral service will begin at 11 AM.  Due to current COVID concerns, we ask that anyone attending in person wear a face mask while inside the building.  We also ask that anyone testing positive or exposed to COVID utilize the following ZOOM link to view the funeral service.  A private family burial will follow at the Grand View Cemetery in Pasadena, Texas.

ZOOM Link:  https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89267007282

Meeting ID:  892 6700 7282           Passcode: 959872

In lieu of flowers, the family has requested donations to a GoFundMe account for Harold’s non-profit organization Bay Area Aquanauts, Inc.  Harold’s Aquastar Swim Team is raising money to build a memorial in his honor as its founder.  Harold dedicated the last 21 years of his life to coaching and mentoring aspiring swimmers to reach their full potential.  These donations will be in support of that legacy.  The web site link is:  https://gofund.me/ff493caf

The family would like to especially thank all of our church family and Aquastar family who have kept us in their prayers and been so supportive and helpful in these final weeks.

don patrick

Jan 20, 2022, 9:13:14 AM1/20/22
to Tom Estes, Bishop News & Views
Gene was always interesting with a wide range of interest.
It is clear that his adult life followed this same pattern. Condolences to Joann and family.

Don Patrick
Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 20, 2022, at 12:30 AM, Tom Estes <tome...@gmail.com> wrote:

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bishop News & Views" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bhs67/CAKEmQ_adrG9gOZK3chSn0wdD_F40QJgZZR8TCCaKriOdZExT6A%40mail.gmail.com.

Fidel Rodriguez

Jan 20, 2022, 3:37:50 PM1/20/22
to don patrick, Tom Estes, Bishop News & Views

As a young child, I was in awe of Gene Johnston.  I never had the pleasure of meeting him as he was several years ahead of me in school, but I knew about him from reading the high school annuals and how smart he was.  When I learned that he had been accepted to Rice University, with a full scholarship as I recall, that certainly elevated his status, at least in my mind.

Condolences to his family.  May he rest in peace.

Fidel Rodriguez, Jr.

P.S.  Don Patrick was also one of my heroes after I learned that he hit home runs over the light poles at the Little League Baseball Park!  I was only able to hit the fence once, on a one hopper.

don patrick

Jan 20, 2022, 5:47:09 PM1/20/22
to Fidel Rodriguez, Tom Estes, Bishop News & Views
Gene was just an all around good guy and he was not lacking in effort on the football field.

Fidel - Thanks for the generous pluralisms applied to the home run over light fixtures !

Sent from my iPhone