Geary Lynn Berkman 1950 - 2023 BHS Class of 1968

Tom Estes

Dec 15, 2023, 12:55:55 PM12/15/23
to Bishop News & Views
BERKMAN GEARY LYNN.jpg
Geary Lynn Berkman
June 16, 1950 - November 19, 2023

          Geary Berkman, 73, went to be with his Lord and Savior on November 19, 2023. He was born on June 16, 1950, to Virginia and Lambert Berkman in Bishop, TX. He grew up in this close-knit community with many friends and extended family, playing sports and working from an early age with his dad in his business. He was a 1968 graduate of Bishop High School and received his BBA from Texas A&I University in 1972.

          His first job after graduating college was with a local CPA Firm in Harlingen, TX. Soon, thereafter, he met his future wife, Nancy, at the First Baptist Church in Rio Hondo. They were married there on June 15, 1974. They had 49 wonderful years together and were blessed with two children, Jeremy and Kayla. His devotion to Nancy was clearly seen. They shared a special love for each other, knowing God had brought them together. Their special saying to each other at times was “If I’m wrong, I’m sorry.” This always brought a smile back. He always told others that Nancy was his best birthday gift ever since they were married the day before his birthday.

          They moved to Raymondville in 1981, where he began a partnership in a CPA firm with John Buffo. Most recently, he worked and operated his own CPA firm. He was still working full-time before becoming ill as he enjoyed his work and was never ready to retire.

          Geary was a very respected member of the Raymondville Community. He was a member of the Rotary Club for over 30 years, holding various offices, and served as Booster Club President throughout his children’s high school years and beyond when there was a need.

          Geary was a devoted Christian man. His Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, was first in his life, serving him from an early age. He served, from the time he and Nancy were married, at their church in Rio Hondo. He was a member of the choir, taught Sunday School, was on youth and financial committees, and sponsored many youth activities and trips. He served as a deacon at FBC Rio Hondo, and for several years, he was Chairman of the Deacons. Even after moving to Raymondville in 1981, they continued to drive the almost 30 miles one way many times a week to attend and work as needed at FBC Rio Hondo. “Not a big deal” he would say. He always knew this was where God had placed him to serve.

          He dearly loved his family. Never missing any of his children’s school or church functions. Whether coaching his son’s baseball team or heading out to watch football or basketball games, seeing his daughter cheer, he always loved being there for them. Always said some of the best years of his life were these years. This carried on with his grandchildren. Always on the road for their birthdays and special events. They were a joy in his life and he loved being a grandpa.

          His family loved him very much and are so thankful for having had him in their lives. They will miss him more than words can express. He is completely healed now, with no more suffering. They know they will see him again as this is their promise and assurance because of Jesus.

          Geary is survived by his wife, Nancy, his son Jeremy (Mindee), his daughter Kayla (Shawn), and his grandchildren Kendall, Kolton, Kaden, William, Peter, Grayson, and Graelyn. Also, his sisters-in-law Linda Berkman and Icie Berkman and several cousins and nieces. He was preceded in death by his parents and his brothers John Berkman and Larry Berkman.

          Family and friends are invited to attend a Memorial Service at the First Baptist Church of Rio Hondo, on Saturday, January 6, 2024, at 10:00 am.

 Online Link

2 Timothy 4:7-8 I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith.

 Memorial Service

  •   Saturday, January 06, 2024
  •   10:00 AM
  • First Baptist Church of Rio Hondo