[BHS-O] 9/16 Sun orienteering: Presidio, San Francisco (practice event)

1 view

Wayne Caplinger

Sep 14, 2012, 4:41:13 AM9/14/12
to BHS O
Hi BHS Orienteers,

This message is about Sunday morning's practice event in the SF Presidio.
A fun event, and good for everyone.
Practices like this are how we got to be State Champions.

1) Orienteering club lunches are each Friday in C317.  We'll prepare for Presidio this week.

2) If you want PE Waiver, you must attend their meeting.
Orientation for FALL PE Waivers is Friday, September 14th, in the Little Theater at 3:45 pm.

3)  Subsequent events for your calendar:
Sep. 23 (Sun.) - Calero County Park, San Jose
Oct. 6 - 7 - Boggs Mountain State Forest, Lake County
Oct. 14 (Sun.) - Tilden Regional Park, Berkeley

-  -

This meet is Sunday 9/16, in the San Francisco Presidio, starting near the south end of Golden Gate Bridge.

This is a good way to start the season, and a good place to bring newcomers.
It will be good for both first-timers and experienced.

Note especially that the cemetery, golf course property, and all residential lawns are out of bounds at all times.

The park is large, and varied, with ample scope to develop / show off our skills.  The weather should be perfect.

First timers start with the White course.  Experienced prefer Yellow.  If yellow navigation is easy for you, choose Orange.  If you can do orange, and are wanting more physicality (distance and climb) at the same technical difficulty, choose Long Orange.

Cost: about $3-6.

The event will use pin punch, rather than estick.

Parking, registration, and start area is at a slightly different place from last year.

Consider attending the free intermediate/advanced clinic at 10 am, and/or any of the free beginners clinics, after 9:30.

= =

Rides are available.  Text or phone my cell.

Non-competitive navigators also welcome.

Those under 18 will need a parent-signed waiver.  If a parent isn't attending, print and sign the following (once per event).  They'll fill out the rest at registration.
http://baoc.org/pdfs/entry_form.pdf

All you need to do is bring a signed waiver, show up, register, and complete a course.  Wear walking, hiking, or running gear.  Full leg cover recommended.  Bring a compass if you have one.  A snack is also recommended.

Thanks,
Wayne
c: 510-666-7572