BHS-O] 9/23 Sun orienteering: Calero, San Jose (practice event) DRIVER NEEDED

1 view

Wayne Caplinger

Sep 22, 2012, 3:16:06 AM9/22/12
to BHS O
Hi BHS Orienteers,

This message is about Sunday morning's practice event at Calero in San Jose.

1) If any parents are available to drive this Sunday, please tell me!

2)  Subsequent events for your calendar:
Oct. 6 - 7 - Boggs Mountain State Forest, Lake County
Oct. 14 (Sun.) - Tilden Regional Park, Berkeley
Oct 20 (Sat) - Sunrise, Sacramento
Oct 27 (Sat, night) - St. Francis Woods, SF
Oct 28 (Sun) - Mongan Territory, Livermore

3) I coach beginners first on a course on Cal (UC Berkeley) campus, then later on a woods course.  This is the fastest way to get up to speed and make subsequent practices more fun and productive.  I'll also take out anyone moving up to Varsity.

I'm available mid-day Saturday/22nd, or after school most days this week.  If you're available, text me 510-666-7572.

-  -

This meet is Sunday 9/23, in Calero Regional Park, San Jose, near 101.  It's a longer drive than most events.

It will be suitable for both first-timers and experienced.

Note especially to be courteous around any horses.

The park is large, and varied, with with lots of open hillside.  The weather should be perfect.

First timers start with the White course.  Experienced prefer Yellow.  If yellow navigation is easy for you, choose Orange.  You might be able to do two courses.

Cost: about $3-9.

Consider attending any of the free beginners clinics, after 9:30.

= =

I will NOT be able to attend this event.
Text or phone my cell if you can give or need a ride.

Non-competitive navigators also welcome.

Those under 18 will need a parent-signed waiver.  If a parent isn't attending, print and sign the following (once per event).  They'll fill out the rest at registration.

All you need to do is bring a signed waiver, show up, register, and complete a course.  Wear walking, hiking, or running gear.  Good traction recommended.  Full leg cover recommended.  Bring a compass and estick if you have them.  A snack is also recommended.

Thanks,
Wayne