[BHS-O] 10/14 Sun orienteering: Tilden Park, Berkeley (practice event)

1 view

Wayne Caplinger

Oct 13, 2012, 10:28:13 PM10/13/12
to BHS O
BHS Orienteers,

Tomorrow is the Tilden meet.
It's a practice; we're here to learn.
The weather will be good.
This meet is very popular/crowded.

1) Those under 18 will need a parent-signed waiver.  If a parent isn't attending, print and sign the following (once per event).  They'll fill out the rest at registration.
http://baoc.org/pdfs/entry_form.pdf

2) Arrive at Lake Anza between 8:45 and 11:45.  Parking will be crowded for this one.

3) Go to the registration table.  There may be two reg tables.  Unless you are pre-registered with a scout troop, go to the regular registration table.
(Likewise, there will probably be be two epunch tables.)  If you don't see me or another experienced person, the reg volunteers will help you through everything.

4) In choosing a course.  first-timers take White.  If you've completed a course before, choose Yellow.  If you find yellow easy, move up to Orange / JV.  When you can routinely finish orange, move up to Brown.

5) If you're relatively new, consider attending one of the short, free Beginner's Clinics.  Just ask at reg.

6) If you start on a course, you must report to epunch afterwards, even if you didn't finish.  Otherwise, they send out a search party.

7) After your first course, you may choose to re-register and go out for a different second course, either harder or easier.

I will be available to train / shadow some of you, at your request.

If you spot anyone who is a Berkeley student, please recruit them for our teams (BHS, King, etc).

At Tilden, the areas mapped dark green are generally impenetrable; go around them.

Rides available.  Text me.

Lake Anza can also be reached by walking, bicycle or transit.

Cost: about $3-8.

All you need to do is bring a signed waiver and money, show up, register, and complete a course.  Wear walking, hiking, or running gear.  Full leg cover recommended.  Bring a compass if you have one.  Maybe bring a snack for after.

Thanks,
Wayne