[BHS-O] 3/03 UCB campus, Berkeley (league meet 7 of 8)

Wayne Caplinger

Mar 2, 2013, 8:40:15 PM3/2/13
to BHS O
Hi BHS Orienteers,
The closest meet of the season is tomorrow. Please attend if possible!
1) There are two remaining league meets in the regular season:
Mar 3: U.C. Berkeley / Cal campus
Mar 10: McLaren Park, San Francisco
2) There is still time for anyone to be part of our state champion team. A first timer could show up tomorrow and complete a course, and so be on the team.
Contact me if you have new recruits, or you want extra coaching.
3) Tomorrow / Sunday's event is on the Cal / UCB campus, just up from BHS. Registration is near Telegraph Avenue.
Notice the earlier time schedule. Aim to arrive between 9 and 11 am.
There are only two courses, short and long. The technical difficulty is Yellow, but advanced navigation skills will save you time. Any of you can complete either course. Varsity participants should try for the longer course. Others can take personal preference.
For practice, you can do the other course too, for no extra fee. However, only your first course counts towards league points. Don't be put off by the term "sprint" -- these couses have short legs and rapid change of direction, so clear thinking and navigation can count more than speed over ground.
A sample from the NE corner of the map. (These won't be your controls.)
Courses on this campus often take advantage of the three-dimensional characteristics. Your control may be above you, on a bridge or balcony. Adds to the fun; stay alert and flexible.
The event director, Joan Roos, needs some more volunteers. Some positions only require an hour, and can be done by someone with no knowledge of orienteering, e.g. a parent. Good karma for contacting her.
I assume you can all get there on your own. If you need a ride or any other assistance, phone or text me.
Cost $3-6. Bring your compass and estick if you have them.
Thanks,
Wayne