[BHS-O] 11/21 - 11/25 navigation practice

Wayne Caplinger

Nov 21, 2012, 4:30:52 PM11/21/12
to BHS O
Hi Berkeley Orienteers,

We have a five day holiday, and forecast dry weather.

I'm offering navigation practice.
Contact me now if you're available.  We'll find a mutually-agreeable time.

Three main purposes of nav practice:
- solidify and improve your navigation skills and tactics, so courses will be easier and more fun.
- possibly move up a level.
- course familiarization, to equalize advantage on certain maps.

Each practice is a small group of students doing a course, discussing route choice and tactics en route.
We have three levels: beginner, JV, Varsity.  I have many courses at each level, so you won't repeat.
These are real courses, only without the time pressure.

1) Beginner course is usually on a campus, like UC Berkeley.
Suitable for first-timers, and yellow-level participants.

2) JV courses are in the woods, like Tilden Park.
Suitable for those moving up to JV, or finding JV challenging.

3) Varsity courses are more technical.
Suitable for those who can almost always complete JV/orange.

Familiarization:  Maps of immediate interest:
- UC Berkeley campus
- Joaquin Miller Park, Oakland hills
- McLaren Park, San Francisco

Even if you've orienteered at these parks, there are interesting areas you haven't visited yet.

Contact me now.

Thanks,
Wayne