[BHS-O] 10/21 Sun: Golden Gate Park, SF (league event)

Wayne Caplinger

Oct 17, 2012, 9:30:31 PM10/17/12
to BHS O
Hi BHS Orienteers,

1) The league competitions start this Sunday.  Details below.

2) I'm free Thursday after school for private or small-group navigation coaching.  Depending on who signs up, we use a course on the Cal campus, or in a nearby park.  This can be for first-timers, or people moving up to JV/Orange.  This will make your time at events more productive and fun.  Email or text me now.

3) Friday lunch in C317.

4) On Saturday there is a minor event near Sacramento.  This is less important than Sunday's event.  You could do both.

 = =

The first meet of the interscholastic league is this Sunday in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco.  Everyone is invited.  It's a good place to start, or to move up to a harder course.

I recommend the Orange course for anyone who has completed a yellow.

I am working out of town this weekend, and so can not attend.

Carpools will be available.  The park is also reachable by transit: Bart to Muni.

The roads in GGP are closed to traffic on Sundays, and very popular.  Allow extra time for parking outside GGP.

You won't need an estick this time, but do bring and carry a pen or pencil.

Steps:

a) Those under 18 will need a parent-signed waiver.  If a parent isn't attending, print and sign the following (once per event).  They'll fill out the rest at registration.
http://baoc.org/pdfs/entry_form.pdf

b) Arrive at GGP between 8:30 and 11:30.  Parking will be scarce.

c) Go to the registration table in Bunny Meadow.  The reg volunteers will help you through everything.

d) In choosing a course, first-timers take White or maybe Yellow.  If you've completed only white, choose Yellow.  If you find yellow easy, move up to Orange / JV.

e) If you're relatively new, consider attending one of the short, free Beginner's Clinics.  Just ask at reg.

f) If you start on a course, you must report to the finish afterwards, even if you didn't find everything.  Otherwise, they send out a search party.

g) After your first course, you may choose to re-register and go out for a different second course, either harder or easier.

Cost: about $3-6.

All you need to do is bring a signed waiver and money and a pen, show up, register, and complete a course.  Wear walking, hiking, or running gear.  Bring a compass if you have one.  Maybe bring a snack for after.

Thanks,
Wayne