Urgent: Support campaign to save tea workers of Assam from hunger deaths

W A Laskar

May 22, 2012, 12:09:13 AM5/22/12
to Article 21 - Now (Google Group), Assam Online (Yahoo Group), Awakening India (Yahoo Group), BHRPC (Google Group), Common Concern (Google Group), Corruption Eradication (Yahoo Group), Friends for Freedom (Google Group), Green Youth Movement (Google Group), Grey Youth Movement (Google Group), Guwahat (Yahoo Group), Human Rights Activist & Volunteerism (Yahoo Group), Human rights activists (Yahoo Group), Humanrights Movement (Google Group), India Seminar (Yahoo Group), India's journey to a casteless society (Yahoo Group), Indian Citizen Forum (Google Group), Indian Current Affairs, Indian Justice (Yahoo Group), International Human Rights Organisation (Yahoo Goup), Issues Online Worldwide (Yahoo Group), Karmayog (Yahoo Group), Love4India (Yahoo Group), Movement for Accountability to Public (Yahoo Group), North East India Professionals (Yahoo Group), PUCL (Yahoo Group), Secular Citizen - The Crusader (Google Goup), The Barak valley (Google Group), The Ground Report India (GRI) an international e-Media (Google Group), Transform India Forum (Yahoo Group)
Dear friends,

I beg you to spend just a few moments for an urgent cause. Some of my esteemed friends may remember that I have been continuously posting reports of hunger deaths of the labourers of tea gardens in Assam for a few months. The tragedy continues unabated.

It is very shocking that tea workers are still dying for lack of adequate food and proper health care. In a single tea estate in South Assam 15 people died within a span of few months. Authorities are not taking effective actions. It is a tragic irony that on the one hand we are talking of adopting tea as our national drink while those who grow it are dying for lack of food.

Please kindly join me in my humble efforts to campaign for preventing hunger deaths of labourers. I have created a petition on change.org: Urge India to save its people from hunger deaths,

I'm trying to collect 1000 signatures, and it is still below 100.

Please support the petition. Save the tea workers:

http://www.change.org/petitions/urge-india-to-save-its-people-from-hunger-deaths-2

It'll just take a minute!

Once you're done, please ask your friends to sign the petition as well. Grassroots movements succeed because people like you are willing to spread the word!

Thanks in advance
--
Waliullah Ahmed Laskar (Wali)
Barak Human Rights Protection Committee,