Bulgarian checkers?

Sultan Ratrout

Jun 9, 2024, 8:21:34 PMJun 9
to bgs4ever

Hello everybody

Do you know any board game researchers from Bulgaria?
Are there any Bulgarians here?
Are there any books on Bulgarian board games?
Is there an earlier reference on Bulgarian checkers?

Bulgaria was dominated by the Ottoman Empire for nearly 500 years, so it is possible that the Bulgarians played a variant of Turkish checkers earlier, but in the absence of evidence, I can not confirm my hypothesis.

Regards

Thierry Depaulis

Jun 11, 2024, 10:53:06 AMJun 11
to bgs4...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sultan.

I think Georgi Markov, who works at the National Museum of Natural History in Sofia, Bulgaria, may be of some help.
I am not sure he is a member of this newsgroup.

If you want to contact him, you can find his e-mail address in Board Game Studies Journal Volume 17, p. 93.

Cheers.

Thierry Depaulis