Dominion help: Explain the curse card

montag66

Feb 3, 2009, 3:28:35 PM2/3/09
to BGG Down
My wife and played our first game last night and absolutely loved
it!!! She told me this morning that it is far and away her new
favorite game. Anyhow, We didn't get the curse card. It appears to be
worth -1 VP and we assume you give it to your opponent. But how much
does it cost and how do you play it? The value on the card is 0.

Also, in there was one "Trash" card, what the heck is that used for?

And while I'm at it, it states that there are 25 groups of action
cards, 10 cards in each action. Each of my action groups have 11 cards
(example, 11 Smithy cards). Is there supposed to be an extra or do I
play all 11?

jdl

Feb 3, 2009, 3:31:18 PM2/3/09
to BGG Down
On Feb 3, 2:28 pm, montag66 <mon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My wife and played our first game last night and absolutely loved
> it!!! She told me this morning that it is far and away her new
> favorite game. Anyhow, We didn't get the curse card. It appears to be
> worth -1 VP and we assume you give it to your opponent. But how much
> does it cost and how do you play it? The value on the card is 0.

Take a peek at the Witch card.

> Also, in there was one "Trash" card, what the heck is that used for?

It simply marks the trash area. This is for cards that are
"trashed" (removed from game) not for your discard pile.

> And while I'm at it, it states that there are 25 groups of action
> cards, 10 cards in each action. Each of my action groups have 11 cards
> (example, 11 Smithy cards). Is there supposed to be an extra or do I
> play all 11?

The 11th card has a different color back. It's simply a marker for
the pile. You don't need to use it, and you can't add it to your
deck.

-- JDL

richp...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2009, 3:31:44 PM2/3/09
to BGG Down
Curse Cards enter play by either buying it or by the Witch card which
give Curse Cards to your opponent.

The Trash Card is to keep the trashed cards from things like Mine or
Remodel out of the game.

The "extra" one is a blue back. It's there to be a randomizer for
start up. I don't really see why it has to be a blue back and just not
match the rest of the cards, but it's there.

whitekong

Feb 3, 2009, 3:32:15 PM2/3/09
to BGG Down
One of the cards in each set has a different colored back. That way
you can shuffle them up and pick your 10 sets of cards randomly.

You give curse cards when you play the witch. Just read the witch
card and you'll know what to do with the curses. You get a limited
number of curse cards in each game based on the number of players.

matthew.marquand

Feb 3, 2009, 3:33:37 PM2/3/09
to BGG Down
Slow down...take a deep breath. It's all in the rules.

Some of the cards let you "Trash" a card from your hand meaning you
put it on the Trash card permanently. Depending on the card that
allowed
you to Trash a card you may be able to replace the card with another.

I think it's a silly design but in each group there are 10 cards with
identical backgrounds
and one card (the 11th) that has a blue-ish background. The 11th card
is supposed
to be placed face down and represent the bottom of the pile. You don't
play
with this card. Why the didn't just make a small board or a set of
'blank' cards
I'll never now. Pain in the butt if you ask me.

Good game though.

cbs42

Feb 3, 2009, 3:33:57 PM2/3/09
to BGG Down
The ability of the Witch card is the only one that uses the Curse. So
unless you have her out, there's no reason to take out the Curse
cards. Expansions to the game will likely feature other cards that
make use of the curses as well.

Don't use the trash card. It's supposed to mark where the global trash
pile goes, but there's no need for it really.

Look at the back of the group of 11 cards. You'll notice that one of
them has a different color back. Remove the 11th blue-bordered card
from each of the stacks of 10. Most people use the blue-backed cards
to randomly deal out which action cards will be available for the
game, so having an extra card of each type is really useful if you
like to randomize your games.

Golux

Feb 3, 2009, 3:34:47 PM2/3/09
to BGG Down
Right now the curse card is only used when the witch is used. The
witch makes your opponents take them into their hands.

The trash card is just a marker for where the trash is in game.

If you look at the back of the action cards you will notice that one
of them is a different background than the others. These cards are
used as action selection cards. Make a separate deck of 25 cards (one
of each action card) and deal 10 out randomly to decide which to use
in the game. It's quite a nice method of making a random setup. I'm
glad you enjoy the game! Hope it brings as much fun to you as it does
to me!

Golux

cbs42

Feb 3, 2009, 3:39:01 PM2/3/09
to BGG Down
DAMN those were fast replies!

My wife also experienced the same effect from this game. It's her
favorite. I've introduced the game to lots of non-gaming folks and
every one of them to the person fell in love with it after a play or
two.
For those reasons alone, Dominion is now my only "10"-ranked game on
BGG.

montag66

Feb 3, 2009, 3:51:01 PM2/3/09
to BGG Down
Wow, you guys are fast! Thanks for all the replies and clearing
everything up. From the response regarding the Trash card I can see
that we did one thing wrong last night. When we played the Mine or
Remodel, we upgraded our card and "trashed" the other card by putting
in not in a global Trash pile but back into our discard pile.
Ooops. :D

My wife called me this morning and said that I need to put the kids to
bed tonight so, at that same time, she can get some work done so that
we can play Dominion again tonight. Gotta love her! Well, I do...not
you guys... :D

cbs42

Feb 3, 2009, 3:59:28 PM2/3/09
to BGG Down
Another thing my wife and I did wrong the first couple of times was
that we didn't customize the victory and curse deck sizes to reflect
the fact it was a 2-player game. So make sure you re-read that section
of the rulebook if you're not sure.