Is dnd 5th edition a good starter rpg?

ultimate games

Sep 10, 2018, 8:54:22 AM9/10/18
to BGG Down
I want to start playing tabletop rpgs and i saw dungeons and dragons 5th edition for only 20 bucks. is this game a good way to get into rpgs?

happy...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2018, 9:14:01 AM9/10/18
to BGG Down
Yes.

Alternately, you can get a taste of 5th edition for free just by downloading the basic rules here: http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/playerdndbasicrules_v0.2.pdf

What you really miss out on by not paying is that you don't get the pre-made adventure, so you'd have to have your DM making their own story.

Jon N.

Sep 10, 2018, 10:36:40 AM9/10/18
to BGG Down
I used Basic Fantasy, which is much simpler than 5th edition and it's free in PDF and the book is only $5 on Amazon.

Againsto

Sep 10, 2018, 10:36:48 AM9/10/18
to BGG Down
I would say, it depends.
It is the best in terms of support and finding people to play with.
I, however, see dozens of other games that are better "games" and could well serve as a better introduction into role-playing.

In the end, it depends on what you are looking for.
I recommend checking out RPGGeek and playing a game on the forum to get a taste of what's what.

Andy Leighton

Sep 10, 2018, 10:36:48 AM9/10/18
to BGG Down
Absolutely D&D 5e is pretty good if you want a fantasy based system. But what exactly did you see for 20 bucks?

There is a starter set which has everything you need (except for a pencil) for a taste which is around $17.50 on Amazon.

The alternative to that is the D&D Player's Handbook and you may also want to add in the Dungeon Master's Guide.

For the PHB/DMG combo you will have to write your own adventures OR buy extra material (fan adventures are also available to download). You will also have to buy dice.

The big advantage of D&D 5e is that there is also lots of organised play.