Classes-Only Variant

James A. Overton

May 13, 2014, 10:08:51 AM5/13/14
to bfo-ow...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

At the request of the OBO Operations Committee, Alan and I have created a classes-only variant of the OWL version of BFO. It contains all BFO 2 classes, with subClassOf and disjoint axioms plus all their annotations, but none of the object properties or logical axioms that use the object properties.

I apologize for the late notice: the plan is to announce the classes-only variant in tomorrow's OBO Foundry Community Outreach Forum. I wanted to share this work with the BFO-OWL list much earlier.

Alan has not yet done a final vetting, but I'd appreciate it if some of you could take a look and let me know if you see any problems.

- file: https://bfo.googlecode.com/svn/releases/2014-05-03/owl-group/bfo_classes.owl
- release notes: https://bfo.googlecode.com/svn/releases/2014-05-03/owl-group/ReleaseNotes.txt
- SVN: https://code.google.com/p/bfo/source/browse/releases/2014-05-03/owl-group

Once again, I apologize for not sharing this work sooner.

James

James A. Overton

May 16, 2014, 11:15:49 AM5/16/14
to bfo-ow...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

We've changed the name of the classes-only variant and made a few small modifications:

https://code.google.com/p/bfo/source/browse/releases/2014-05-03/owl-group
https://code.google.com/p/bfo/source/detail?r=501

If no major problems are reported, I will upgrade this release candidate to an official release on Tuesday (2014-05-27).

James

James A. Overton

May 16, 2014, 11:37:23 AM5/16/14
to bfo-ow...@googlegroups.com
I seem to have a rare form of dyslexia that is specific to reading calendars...

Correction: I would like to make the release on Tuesday May 20 (2014-05-20).

James

He, Yongqun

May 16, 2014, 11:42:50 AM5/16/14
to James A. Overton, bfo-ow...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

That's wonderful news!

Once it is finally realized, I can upload the final version to Ontobee.

Also, we can update the BFO Converter tool to facilitate the conversion task for many ontologies:
http://bfoconvert.hegroup.org/

Best,

Oliver

Jie Zheng

May 16, 2014, 1:17:19 PM5/16/14
to He, Yongqun, James A. Overton, bfo-ow...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

Thanks a lot for making this classes-only BFO.

It looks good to me.

Looking forward to seeing it officially released next Tuesday.

Jie

Ramona Walls

May 16, 2014, 3:38:42 PM5/16/14
to Jie Zheng, He, Yongqun, James A. Overton, bfo-ow...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to chime in with the thanks. I think this will be a big help for coordinating term imports across ontologies. I have to do a release of BCO and PCO, but will wait until next week so I can use the new BFO file.

Ramona

Ramona L. Walls, Ph.D.
Scientific Analyst, The iPlant Collaborative, University of Arizona
Laboratory Research Associate, New York Botanical Garden