Re: Request for a class-only subset of BFO

Ramona Walls

Mar 3, 2014, 5:51:21 PM3/3/14
to bfo-ow...@googlegroups.com, obo-operatio...@googlegroups.com

Dear BFO developers:

On behalf of several members the OBO Foundry Operations Committee, I am writing to request an official release of a subset of BFO2 that contains only the classes. Discussions within the Operations Committee and with members of the OBO Foundry community indicate that many ontologies in the OBO Foundry Library are using or would like to use the classes from BFO2 rather than use BFO1.

The Operations Committee is not yet ready to make a decision on the use of the full BFO2 with temporalized relations, but in the mean time, many of us are concerned about incompatability of ontologies due to mixed use of classes from BFO1 and BFO2. We feel that an official subset release of just the classes from BFO2 would provide a viable solution to developers' immediate needs while also allowing additional time for the community to evaluate the temporalized relations in BFO2.

Thanks for your consideration,
Ramona
Ramona L. Walls, Ph.D.
Scientific Analyst, The iPlant Collaborative, University of Arizona
Laboratory Research Associate, New York Botanical Garden