Canonical version of BFO?

Chris Mungall

Aug 28, 2022, 1:27:07 PM8/28/22
to BFO Discuss
I haven’t really followed bfo development much recently but I gather there is a new version with some me changes eg obsoleting process profile

Is this intended for use? It seems fairly buried and all of your purls point to what I think is the older version. If you need help with the technical details of the release open an issue on the obo tracker.

I also urge you to write simple clear release notes listing the main changes and publish prominently

Alan Ruttenberg

Aug 29, 2022, 2:06:59 PM8/29/22
to bfo-d...@googlegroups.com
The canonical version of BFO is BFO-2020, with FOL being the normative logic version. The current OWL approximation is available at http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/bfo/2020/bfo.owl (version IRI). The ISO standard is available on their publicly available standards page as ISO/IEC 21838-1:2021.

It is not used in OBO because of objections to the temporalized relations. This has been discussed several times in the past.
While there are release notes in the project, they do not discuss all changes. Barry has said he will update the BFO 2.0 reference at some point to reflect changes, but this is not a small job due to the more extensive axiomatization relative to the BFO 2.0 reference.

I agree that a list of changes in the OWL would be useful, however there has never been funding for BFO-2020 and I just never got to it. It did not seem to be so relevant for OBO given the choice not to use it.

Alan

Chris Mungall

Sep 7, 2022, 7:58:03 PM9/7/22
to bfo-d...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps there is an incremental approach:

As a strawman, how about:

Step 0 (now):

 - register all possible products on https://obofoundry.org/ontology/bfo
 - this allows early adopters to easily see and pick the newer version without disrupting current users

Step 1 (say 3 months from now?):

 - replace bfo.owl with bfo-2020-classes.owl (simple robot filter)
 - make a http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/bfo/bfo-classes-only.owl (contents would be identical at first)
 - groups who depend on things that would break should switch to using the versioned PURL in their pipelines
 - groups using RO for relations are unaffected
 - should in general be non disruptive, but if anyone is used process profile, things will break, so give them enough lead time

Note all this is independent of temporalized relations, it's an incremental step

Step 2: 6 months, a year..?

 - replace bfo.owl with full bfo-2020.owl
 - groups who are using RO for relations should use one of the following in their extract pipelines
 - has more change of being disruptive - but if people have time to update their pipelines this should be OK