Philosophical Foundations for BFO?

Michael DeBellis

Apr 7, 2021, 4:55:55 PM4/7/21
to BFO Discuss
I would like to educate myself on the philosophical foundations of BFO. There is so much literature I'm not sure where to start. Can people recommend a few core papers or chapters of books that are good places to start? In terms of my background I have a good background in philosophy and very good  in logic. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Michael DeBellis

Hunter, Larry

Apr 7, 2021, 4:58:05 PM4/7/21
to bfo-d...@googlegroups.com
Although not directly connected to BFO, for someone with your background I think Barry Smith’s “Against F(a)ntology” paper is a good place to start.

Mathias Brochhausen

Apr 7, 2021, 5:00:11 PM4/7/21
to bfo-d...@googlegroups.com
If you haven't started there already, I'd recommend the book by Arp, Smith, Spear: "Building Ontologies with Basic Formal Ontologies". That contains some background and additional reading.

Best,
Mathias

Jordan Fried

Apr 7, 2021, 5:23:13 PM4/7/21
to bfo-d...@googlegroups.com
I first stumbled upon BFO because I found Dr. Barry Smith's Analytical Metaphysics series on Youtube. I got some of the philosophical background right away as a result.

Michael DeBellis

Apr 7, 2021, 8:18:10 PM4/7/21
to BFO Discuss
Thanks to everyone. I downloaded Barry's paper and found the Youtube videos. I do have the book but I wasn't sure if it was geared more toward practical development or had information about the philosophic background, now that I know I'll look at it carefully.

Michael