Dead group

Steven Barlow

Feb 21, 2012, 12:33:23 AM2/21/12
to beyo...@googlegroups.com
So I can assume that this group is defunct then I guess.

Shame.

Tod Robbins

Feb 21, 2012, 1:10:41 AM2/21/12
to beyo...@googlegroups.com
Steve,

I'm still interested in administering the group. It seems like it still serves a purpose especially since the announcement of GEDCOMX[1] and the Historical Data Schema.org extension[2]. Feel free to share your thoughts.

Tod

Jörn Daub

Feb 21, 2012, 7:18:39 AM2/21/12
to beyo...@googlegroups.com

Hey Steve and Tod,

as of now, this group appears to be dead. That does not mean that it cannot (or shouldn’t) be revived. But then again, there now is BetterGEDCOM and GEDCOM-X, both of which have groups elsewhere which somewhat overlap with this one. I’m not sure whether there is a clear idea that sets this group apart from those.

Jörn

------------

todd.d....@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2012, 9:19:04 AM2/21/12
to beyo...@googlegroups.com
Jörn,

That's a great point. I think since both of those groups are focused on the data standards, we could build knowledge based on that foundation. Web apps, SaaS, communities based on the new data format/exchange. Those are some of my ideas.

Tod

Louis Kessler

Jul 27, 2012, 5:52:48 PM7/27/12
to beyo...@googlegroups.com

Then why haven't any of you guys gone over to BetterGEDCOM and participated?

todd.d....@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2012, 6:12:29 PM7/27/12
to beyo...@googlegroups.com
Louis,

It's a good question. It seems a similar type of fervor is now happening here:
With GEDCOMX, BetterGEDCOM, Open Genealogy Alliance, historical-data (Schema.org), et al, there is a lot to discuss and collaborate on. I suggest those in this group looking to be involved in software development check out RootsDev and those more interested in standards check out GEDCOMX and BetterGEDCOM.

-Tod

--
Tod Robbins
MLIS 2012 | University of Washington