Tips That Work to Build Your Family Tree and Search For People

Jane Tilly

Dec 28, 2009, 1:51:27 AM12/28/09
to Between the Rivers Folk (BTR)
Searching for people? Building your family tree?
I have been researching online for a few years to build my family
tree. I now have a long list now dating back to the early 1700's. I
also was pleased to find relatives I didn't know who lived close by. I
love to have family get together! You can do this research too and
build your family tree.   There are many sources out there that
you can use to locate people. Find what works best for you since it
takes time to do this. Don't give up!   Here are some tips I use
to building my family tree:

Ask your current relatives for family information. Collect all names
and any information they have no matter how trivial. Take notes!
Search public records. Search through census records. Utilize this
information to search for obituaries, tax records and more. This will
help you add to your list.
Try using search engines on the internet to find information. I found
out some of my relatives I never even met had a family tree posted on-
line. It was fun getting to know more of my family. You can use Google
or even search for a "people" search engine to locate people for
free.
There are various on-line applications you can utilize to keep track
of your family tree and help do research. Some parts are free and you
can also pay for more options.
Find a program to track your family tree. I utilize one that also
accesses the internet to search for records.
Research your family information on Ancestry.com and Genealogy.com
These are 2 of the places you will find online that can help.
Ask for help! There are plenty of forums out there where you can ask
for information. I know I found some relatives this way.
Now a word of caution. Thoroughly review any family tree information
posted on-line. I have found in some cases it's not accurate.
Visit cemeteries where you find relatives buried. I found more names
for my family tree this way due to several family members being buried
at the same place. I found graves from my family from the 1800's. I
took photos of the graves for my scrapbook and researched any
historical information on the people. All of this takes time but its
well worth it to find out your family history and unwrap a mystery!

Search Millions of Public Records: http://www.pubrecs.tk/