BetterBatch 0.9.6 released

Mark

Mar 2, 2010, 5:06:05 AM3/2/10
to betterbatch-discuss
Hi,

I found a serious issue in 0.9.5 that would mess up (remove parts) of
variable values.

0.9.6 contains a major simplification in that the current value of the
variables is stored as a simple dictionary Name->value (it was being
stored as Name -> VariableDefinitionStep() )

Thanks
Mark

EyeCAT

Mar 2, 2010, 8:42:04 PM3/2/10
to betterbatch-discuss
Great idea overall. I'd have to play with it further.

One small issues I'm noticing:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "bbrun.py", line 1, in <module>
from betterbatch.parsescript import Main
File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\betterbatch\__init__.py", line
1, in <module>
from betterbatch import *
File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\betterbatch\betterbatch.py",
line 12, in <module>
import built_in_commands
File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\betterbatch
\built_in_commands.py", line 325, in <module>
PopulateFromToolsFolder(os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__),
"tools"))
File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\betterbatch
\built_in_commands.py", line 264, in PopulateFromToolsFolder
for file in os.listdir(tools_folder):
WindowsError: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: 'C:\
\Python25\\lib\\site-packages\\betterbatch\\tools/*.*'

This is fixed by creating empty tools folder.

Also a small suggrestion, we should define "entry point" in setup.py
so that easy_install can create bbrun script/exe stub automatically.

Another question, I couldn't find file associate_filetype.bb mentioned
here:
http://betterbatch.googlecode.com/hg/betterbatch/docs/readme.html#instalation

Yuhui

- No bbrun

Mark Mc Mahon

Mar 2, 2010, 10:21:32 PM3/2/10
to betterbat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yuhui,

First of all - thanks very much for trying it out and taking the time
to send me feedback!

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 9:42 AM, EyeCAT <eye...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great idea overall. I'd have to play with it further.
>
> One small issues I'm noticing:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "bbrun.py", line 1, in <module>
>    from betterbatch.parsescript import Main
>  File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\betterbatch\__init__.py", line
> 1, in <module>
>    from betterbatch import *
>  File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\betterbatch\betterbatch.py",
> line 12, in <module>
>    import built_in_commands
>  File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\betterbatch
> \built_in_commands.py", line 325, in <module>
>    PopulateFromToolsFolder(os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__),
> "tools"))
>  File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\betterbatch
> \built_in_commands.py", line 264, in PopulateFromToolsFolder
>    for file in os.listdir(tools_folder):
> WindowsError: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: 'C:\
> \Python25\\lib\\site-packages\\betterbatch\\tools/*.*'
>
> This is fixed by creating empty tools folder.

I have two bugs here:
a) the manifest.in file was specifying to include the
betterbatch\tools folder, but the folder on my machine was
betterbatch\Tools (I fixed the case on my machine and it is not
building the dist correctly)
b) I haven't fixed it yet - but it should not be a critical error if
the tools folder doesn't exist

> Also a small suggrestion, we should define "entry point" in setup.py
> so that easy_install can create bbrun script/exe stub automatically.

I am not sure about this one - you should actually have a bbrun.py in
your python/scripts directory (at least I do when I install
BetterBatch)

If I add entry_points then it more than likely won't be used unless I
also import setuptools, and before adding that requirement I would
like to confirm that there really is a problem. (what I may do is a
conditional import of setuptools, import it and use it if it can be
imported, otherwise use distutils exclusively)

I have added it to the manifest.in file - and is now included in the
distribution (though the more I look at it - I don't think it can be a
BB file - as it needs to know the path of the installed flie - not
where someone has placed the source distribution. (i.e. it works for
me - but not for users so much :)

> Yuhui
>
> - No bbrun

Is this just part of the point above?

Thanks for your feedback,
Mark

> On Mar 2, 2:06 am, Mark <mtnbikingm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I found a serious issue in 0.9.5 that would mess up (remove parts) of
>> variable values.
>>
>> 0.9.6 contains a major simplification in that the current value of the
>> variables is stored as a simple dictionary Name->value (it was being
>> stored as Name -> VariableDefinitionStep() )
>>
>> Thanks
>>   Mark

Yuhui H

Mar 2, 2010, 10:28:00 PM3/2/10
to betterbat...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mark,

> > Also a small suggrestion, we should define "entry point" in setup.py
> > so that easy_install can create bbrun script/exe stub automatically.
>
> I am not sure about this one - you should actually have a bbrun.py in
> your python/scripts directory (at least I do when I install
> BetterBatch)
>
> If I add entry_points then it more than likely won't be used unless I
> also import setuptools, and before adding that requirement I would
> like to confirm that there really is a problem. (what I may do is a
> conditional import of setuptools, import it and use it if it can be
> imported, otherwise use distutils exclusively)

bbrun.py is indeed installed correctly. Creating bbrun.exe and
bbrun-script.py is a setuptools magic. Not a big deal if you just want
to stick with distutils exclusively for the moment.

> > - No bbrun
>
> Is this just part of the point above?

Please ignore. Not sure how that got there. :)

Yuhui