Is this group still active?

henderson1978

Mar 28, 2011, 1:03:51 PM3/28/11
to Better School Websites
I am the Website Coordinator for a large school district in Texas and
stumbled across a post in Six Revisions the eventually led me here.

Just wondering if this group is still active.

Anthony

Robert Moffett

Mar 28, 2011, 1:17:21 PM3/28/11
to better-scho...@googlegroups.com
I think the group kind of fizzled and died on the vine, but maybe we can get it going again?
Surely the world's problems haven't been solved.

Rob

Caleb Fidecaro

Mar 28, 2011, 2:32:47 PM3/28/11
to Better School Websites
I kind of started this thing hoping someone else would take charge. I
still think it's an important thing to tackle, but I don't feel like I
have the experience to make something like this happen.

However: what the hell I'll give it a shot.

I personally imagine this product being built on Wordpress, as the
newer versions are very much more capable, and hugely.easier to use
for a layperson than Drupal or other products. If I don't get any
disagreement, I'll thrown something super basic together andoush it up
to github. Otherwise, I'm open to discussion - like I said, I'm not
super experienced with schools or the required security etc.

On Mar 29, 6:17 am, Robert Moffett <robert.moff...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the group kind of fizzled and died on the vine, but maybe we can get
> it going again?
> Surely the world's problems haven't been solved.
>
> Rob

Robert Moffett

Mar 28, 2011, 2:36:20 PM3/28/11
to better-scho...@googlegroups.com
I agree that WordPress is the way to go. The post formats in WP3.1 are phenomenally useful. I would be happy to chip in some suggestions on plugins and some code I have cobbled together.

Caleb Fidecaro

Mar 28, 2011, 4:27:45 PM3/28/11
to better-scho...@googlegroups.com
That's what I'm thinking. Not having worked at a school I'm not really familiar with what exactly they need from a website, but whatever it is, custom post types and taxonomies can handle it in the best way I've seen

Wasabi Advertising
PO Box 109093, Auckland 1149. Level 1, 2 Eden St, Newmarket, Auckland 1023.
T +64 9 5205252  W www.wasabi.co

henderson1978

Mar 28, 2011, 4:53:44 PM3/28/11
to Better School Websites
The reason I was asking is that I am working with a group of people to
form a national organization of k-12 webmasters to be able to discuss
and help each other out. I didn't know if that is what the members of
this group was doing as well or what direction this group what going
in.

Everyone in this group seems like they have an interest in school
websites and I was trying to get an idea of how many people work for
schools/school districts.

Anthony

On Mar 28, 3:27 pm, Caleb Fidecaro <caleb.fidec...@wasabi.co> wrote:
> That's what I'm thinking. Not having worked at a school I'm not really familiar with what exactly they need from a website, but whatever it is, custom post types and taxonomies can handle it in the best way I've seen
>
> Wasabi Advertising
> PO Box 109093, Auckland 1149. Level 1, 2 Eden St, Newmarket, Auckland 1023.
> T +64 9 5205252 Wwww.wasabi.co
>

> On Tuesday, 29 March 2011 at 7:36 AM, Robert Moffett wrote:
> > I agree that WordPress is the way to go. The post formats in WP3.1 are phenomenally useful. I would be happy to chip in some suggestions on plugins and some code I have cobbled together.

Justin Pulsifer

Mar 31, 2011, 8:02:44 AM3/31/11
to Better School Websites
I could see wordpress working kinda but from my understanding there
needs to be a much much deeper integration.
Like at the school i go to we have the School district website and
then all the other schools have a directory for it.

The whole grading system etc are all on this one cms for the whole
district per school. This is awesome but has still yet to be executed
properly. I am still a high school student but I have a passion for
the web and something like schools websites should look good or at
least function properly.

I have been thinking of a proper way to get everything working and to
make a proper school cms I would think making a new complete cms for
schools would be the way to go but there needs to be options etc. I
thought the best way to keep it secure, fast, and stable is to
possibly make it in python but the problem with this is not as many
people know python as they do php. PHP can be used as well it'd work
either way.

Im just saying some schools have the ability to make there own site
but from what ive seen all the sites are done through the district so
there needs to be more integration between the school and district. :)

Robert Moffett

Mar 31, 2011, 12:43:15 PM3/31/11
to better-scho...@googlegroups.com
Justin,
I am open to different ideas, certainly. But my defense of WP is that the new version 3.1 has the ability to make subdomains that run on the same install. My plan for my district is to have a structure like district.org and schoolname.district.org. That way I can manage all sites and users from 1 installation.

As far as the gradebook software goes, maybe there are plugins available (or we could develop them) to integrate that function into the framework of WP?

My question for the group is whether my proposed site / subdomain structure sounds feasible? I am going to be running 39 subdomains once I have this implemented and I am concerned whether or not WP can sustain that many subdomains and the subsequent db queries / server load? Thoughts?

Rob

Caleb Fidecaro

Mar 31, 2011, 4:27:44 PM3/31/11
to Better School Websites
That is certainly feasible. All of wordpress.com runs on a single
multi-site installation if I'm not mistaken, but I also have some
personal experience that tells me that'd be no issue.

I also think that it wouldn't be too huge of a mission to build some
sort of plugin that cold handle grading systems etc. I think that's
another advantage of using Wordpress: the ease with which plugins can
be built, which in future makes it easy to roll out new capabilities
as they come up, and for those to be easily deployed by individual
schools/districts.

Do I sound like I'm talking sense?