Drupal CMS for schools

Paul S

Nov 10, 2010, 4:47:15 AM11/10/10
to Better School Websites
Hi
My name is Paul Stuart and I'm based in Auckland, New Zealand.
I used to teach at university here, but have had my own business
doing.. guess what.. school websites, intranets and LMS for around 10
years.
We began with a hand coded PHP platform, but moved, thankfully, to
Drupal just over a year ago. We love Drupal, but it's certainly not
for the faint hearted! Our LMS of choice is, not surprisingly, Moodle.
One of my developers spotted Michael's post at Six Revisions, and, as
always, I was sad but hardly surprised to learn that US public school
websites suck, just as most school website do everywhere else!
We're naturally biased, but we think our sites look great and they're
a breeze to maintain.
Not sure how our commercial orientation sits with other group members
but we'd like to participate as best we can in this worthwhile group.

Michael

Nov 12, 2010, 11:29:50 PM11/12/10
to Better School Websites
Yeah, this would probably go better in the introductions, but who
cares? Welcome aboard, Paul!

We've assumed, I think largely because of Jacob's offer to design a WP-
based site, that we would go with WP in our work. Anyone think Drupal
might be a better option?

Elaine Nelson

Nov 18, 2010, 10:54:05 AM11/18/10
to Better School Websites
It might not hurt to do some work for both, if there's enough
volunteers to participate. (I have both WP and Drupal experience.)

Maybe have a general framework/design team and a couple of CMS
implementation teams? I know in this neck of the woods a lot of public
entities are stuck with MS platform options only, too. I don't what's
available as far as that goes, though.

J. Albert Bowden

Nov 18, 2010, 11:12:59 AM11/18/10
to better-scho...@googlegroups.com
hi everybody that i've never met!

just tuning in, not sure of the depth of this conversation, but offhand, I wouldn't recommend using WP as your CMS unless its the bare minimum of implementations. I've found WP to be so much more effective when used as a blog tool and left out of the heavy lifting.
that said, you can do whatever you want to/with WP, and i've seen some extremely creative/effective solutions derived with it...they are simply few and far between.
anyways. just my two cents.

cheers,
albert
--
J. Albert Bowden II

jalber...@gmail.com

http://bowdenweb.com/
http://refreshhamptonroads.org

Michael

Nov 18, 2010, 6:34:17 PM11/18/10
to Better School Websites
Awesome. I'm not an expert in either Drupal or WP, but my
understanding of both is similar to Albert's, that WP might not have
enough juice to support an entire school's (or school system's) site.
OTOH, Jacob is a respected WP guru, and he is likely capable of
crafting a creative and effective solution. I'd like to hear more on
this subject!

Elaine, a framework team and two CMS implementation teams, one for WP
and one for Drupal, makes good sense to me. What do you guys think?