BetaPsi Newsletter 3/03/2015

1 view

Betapsimalta

Mar 3, 2015, 10:06:34 AM3/3/15
Hi fellow psychos!

  As you might or might not know, this is the last week of the tenure of the current BetaPsi Executive Board. The last few weeks however, have been busier than ever! Let's all go through BetaPsi's latest events and initiatives.

--------------

Mount Carmel Visit

 One of the most pivotal event on the BetaPsi annual calendar is the Mount Carmel Visit, and this year was no exception. The visit was held on the 27th of February. Psychology students are given the opportunity to learn more about MCH's services and opportunities for psychology graduates and psychologists, while visiting wards and other areas of the hospital. Through visiting the Female's Ward, the students present got a first person experience of what mental health problems really are. Everyone agreed that there is a huge difference between theoretically learning about mental health, and actually experiencing what goes on in a ward at MCH. Apart from the ward, we also visited the hospital's museum to get a brief idea about the history of psychiatry in Malta. We also visited the war shelter of the mount carmel hospital, while keeping in mind the torment that the hospital staff and patients went through during the war.

Inline image 1

 Due to popular demand, another visit is going to be held on Friday, the 27th of March. If you want to book your place for this visit, you are still in time. If you've never visited Mount Carmel Hospital, now is your chance to do so!

SFHL and BetaPsi Collaboration - Art Therapy Session

 Life’s daily hassles coupled with a never-ending list of assignments can easily take a toll on your mental strength and resilience. This is why SMART and iMAP, two branches of the Students for Healthy Living (SFHL) student organization, in collaboration with BetaPsi are organizing an art therapy day session on Campus.

 From the 16th February we will be placing boxes across campus. We invite you to post anonymous notes with personal inspirational experiences which will be displayed during our art therapy activity.

Inline image 2

 Join us at the KSU common room on Wednesday the 4th of March 2015 between 9am to 3:30pm to let off some steam and express yourself through art. Find out what art therapy is all about by coming to a talk given by Mr. Laner Cassar. In addition, Ms.Janice Sargent from the Richmond Foundation shall be giving tips on maintaining mental health in daily life. Join us for these talks in the KSU common room between 12-2pm. A certificate of attendance and a free USB will be distributed.

Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/853981691326590

SEX 360°

A conventional discussion on issues concerning sex and sexuality, at least in the local context, always ends up having to encircle clichés such as: teenage pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases and ways to prevent them, and ‘promiscuous’ sex practices, among others.

That being said, discussions on sex education tend to lead to a ‘don’t do this and don’t do that’ kind of approach, especially when discussing sex ed. with teens. The point is not that the latter approach towards sex is a wrong one, but that there is much more to sex than the typical cliché key-words which are usually hinted at when discussing it.

On this notion, BetaPsi and Willingness decided to work together to organise a day seminar, entitled SEX 360°, which will be serving as platform for researchers and professionals in the area of sex and sexuality to present local research and clinical experience with regards to sex, sexuality, sexual health, relationships, and anything which is related to the field.

Inline image 3

There will be a variety of presentations by means of workshops, panel discussions, case studies, presentations and a symposium delivered from professionals from various backgrounds. Another aim of SEX 360° is to demonstrate different points of view about sex; points of view that you, me, and several others would have never considered or thought of.

This seminar will take place at SkyParks, Luqa, on the 7th of March, from 8:30am till 5pm. Prices: €35 for Betapsi members and alumni, €40 for non-members

Note: Payment must be received by Thursday the 5th of March. Link to the application form and the Facebook event here!

The President's Secret Garden Children's Hub

BetaPsi has had several meetings with the President Foundation for the Wellbeing of Society and brings you the following opportunity!

Inline image 4

Now is your chance to get first hand experience working with children by becoming a volunteer at the President's Secret Garden Children's Hub. Help children the discover all the exciting activities happening between April and June. Attached to this newsletter, kindly find more information regarding this initiative, together with a volunteer application form. Do't miss this opportunity, especially if you aim to work among children in the future.

Pique-nique

 BetaPsi Leisure would like to present to you Piqnique!

Inline image 5

 This event is all about appreciating friendship in a relaxing environment, in the sun with some beers and a dash of fun. There will also be some exciting activities going on. What better way to develop a healthy mind and body than amongst friends ?!

Join us at Ta Qali Park at 10AM onwards for some quality time with friends. Furthermore, have the opportunity to meet the BetaPsi Canditates.

We would like to thank Malta University Sports Club for supporting this event.

AGM 2015

It is time again for BetaPsi's Annual General Meeting (AGM)! We invite all BetaPsi members to attend and have a say in the election of new representatives. We also invite anyone interested to attend and learn more about BetaPsi and the new executive board that will represent the organisation.

 To all those who want to get more out of their University life, now is your chance! From my own personal experience, I can assure that being part of a student organisation is an experience which makes you grow as a person, helps you to improve your skills, and also helps you to learn new skills, so it is an opportunity which is not to be missed!

In the meantime, the following links are videos of exec. members sharing their experience in BetaPsi!
Steve and Petra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peBcYqGgjhY
Stephanie and Andrew: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYKMDmlrOuU

Inline image 6

Join us on Wednesday, the 11th of March, at the KSU Common Room, during degree plus hours.

 Thanks to all those which were part of BetaPsi's endeavors, in one way or another, during the past year. The BetaPsi executive board wishes you all the best for the remainder of this semester. Good luck!

Andrew Camilleri
Secretary General
BetaPsi

Website: betapsi.org.mt l E-mail: betaps...@gmail.com
Advert for Volunteers - FEBRUARY 2015.pdf
Volunteer Application form.docx