Job: DevOps for funded Startup

jonfm

Jul 9, 2012, 5:48:00 AM7/9/12
to berlin...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

My new company is hiring and I think our openings are perfect for members of this group who are looking for work, let me know if there is a better list or if people consider this spam... but basically I want to know if you are interested.

Our philosophy is continuous testing and integration, virtualisation (where it makes sense), one step build and a firm belief in a zero defect deployment. We are creating an agile team for a new project.

Some of the technologies we use are: Heroku, AWS(EC2/S3), Postgres, Ruby (rails), Git, Solr/Elasticsearch, and Memcached
We are also interested in evaluating: Varnish, Riak, Redis, CloudFront, and/or Mongo

We use scrum and kanban, keep our backlog simple, provide good working conditions and have great financial backing.

If anyone is interested, let me know and we can talk about the details.

Jonathan

Nils von Harlessem

Jul 9, 2012, 6:11:41 AM7/9/12
to berlin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathan

people in this list consider job offerings as spam - this group is
solelyl dedicated to the DevOps Mindset - to exchange experience,
discuss specific topics and organizing the monthly meetups.

cheers,
Nils
--
Nils von Harleßem

t +49 89 44456 2913 | m +49 151 2520 4676 | skype: popyandcaste

buddybrand GmbH
Rudi-Dutschke-Straße 26, 10969 Berlin
www.buddybrand.de

HRB 131430 B - Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg
Vertretungsberechtigte Geschäftsführer: Klaus Breyer, Lars Kranholdt,
Vincent Nicolai, Philipp Thurmann

jonfm

Jul 9, 2012, 7:22:14 AM7/9/12
to berlin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nils,

Fair enough. I don't mean to offend.

Where is the best place to put direct (not from an agent) posts about jobs which are culturally compatible with the DevOps mindset? For example, where this community will see it if they are looking?

Has anyone had any really bad experiences with getting their approach across within a company environment? What are the biggest hurdles?

Jonathan
skype: jonathanananan

On Monday, July 9, 2012 12:11:41 PM UTC+2, Nils von H wrote:
Hi Jonathan

people in this list consider job offerings as spam - this group is
solelyl dedicated to the DevOps Mindset - to exchange experience,
discuss specific topics and organizing the monthly meetups.

cheers,
Nils

till

Jul 9, 2012, 9:12:45 AM7/9/12
to berlin...@googlegroups.com
I'm not opposed to these posts, but a good idea is to give a talk at a meetup and advertise during/before/after it. ;-))

On Monday, July 9, 2012 at 1:22 PM, jonfm wrote:

> Hi Nils,
>
> Fair enough. I don't mean to offend.
>
> Where is the best place to put direct (not from an agent) posts about jobs which are culturally compatible with the DevOps mindset? For example, where this community will see it if they are looking?
>
> Has anyone had any really bad experiences with getting their approach across within a company environment? What are the biggest hurdles?
>
> Jonathan
> skype: jonathanananan
> email: j...@jonfm.co.uk (mailto:j...@jonfm.co.uk)
> > www.buddybrand.de (http://www.buddybrand.de)

Mathias Meyer

Jul 9, 2012, 9:17:49 AM7/9/12
to berlin...@googlegroups.com
+1, in particular given that I couldn't for the life of me find something that said it's not allowed to send job postings to this particular mailing list.

Cheers, Mathias

Nils von Harlessem

Jul 9, 2012, 9:30:03 AM7/9/12
to berlin...@googlegroups.com
Christian mentioned on our last meetup that he is trying hard to keep
this group free of headhunters and HR-agents.

Therefore i see no value for the group when people post job postings
like "we need a dev ops engineer" or similar here - do you?

best,
Nils

Mathias Meyer

Jul 9, 2012, 9:37:11 AM7/9/12
to berlin...@googlegroups.com
1.) if there is a guideline it should be mentioned on the website or the group's site.
2.) i said i'm not opposed to the emails. if you're looking for a new job, sure it's an email with a certain value to the person looking for the job.

My interest is not to bring up a discussion on this. If that's what was settled on, mention it somewhere, and there doesn't have to be a discussion about it. As long as it's not written down I can't blame Jonathan for posting a simple job ad.

Cheers, Mathias

On Monday, 9. July 2012 at 15:30, Nils von Harlessem wrote:

> Christian mentioned on our last meetup that he is trying hard to keep
> this group free of headhunters and HR-agents.
>
> Therefore i see no value for the group when people post job postings
> like "we need a dev ops engineer" or similar here - do you?
>
> best,
> Nils

Schlomo Schapiro

Jul 9, 2012, 10:10:11 AM7/9/12
to berlin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think that Christian's main point was more to keep the list clear from head hunters, not to shield all people from job offers in general. And I also believe that this list should remain focused on the topic and not turn into a general discussion list.

I also agree that if there are rules then they should be posted somewhere. As we don't have any written rules yet we should take this opportunity to write some rules which the majority of this list agrees upon. Here is my suggestion to start a discussion about the rules:

The berlin-devops mailing list and discussion forum
  1. The berlin-devops discussion group and mailing list is a forum where people who are interested in DevOps from the greater Berlin area meet and discuss.
  2. The list is technical and mindset orientated and frowns upon off-topic contributions.
  3. ... ?

Examples for welcome content:

  • We are doing our ops setup like .... How do you do yours?
  • What would be the best tool for ...?
  • How do you convince ... to ...?
  • Does DevOps mean that ...?
  • Did somebody here try out ...?
  • We wrote this Open-Source tool for ... at http://... and would appreciate your feedback
  • Conference / Meetup / Event about ... at ... coming soon. Who will go?
  • ...

Examples for less welcome content:

  • Hi, I am new in town and look for a job
  • Hi, we are a new ... and are looking for ... engineers|developers|...

"Less welcome" means that you should try to contribute something to the group before plugging yourself. Maybe reduce your job thingy to a little footer below a very long and interesting mail. That way people will actually pay much more attention to you because you bring something interesting.

Examples for totally unwelcome content:

  • Our firm represents many interesting startups who are looking for ...
  • Try out our new DevOps dashboard with integrated Management Happyness (TM) at ...
  • How do you do your ....? Why not use our .... hosted service at http://... to get instant ...

This is really not interesting for most people on this list. Go sponsor an event before showing your advertisement.

The berlin-devops meetups

  • From time to time there are berlin-devops meetups that are also announced on this list.
  • Meetups have several talks and usually also an open space.
  • You can always submit a talk to this list, the above mentioned content rules apply here as well.
  • You can also offer up meeting space and/or food & drink for the next meetup.
  • At the meetups most people actually have a job which they like, so please refrain from offensive hiring.
  • OTOH change is normal so at the meetups there is always a place where you can put your recruiting poster. Please bring only a single recruiting poster (max. A4) per company.

I actually believe that recruiting is a normal part of any event and we should just give recruiting a place that does not offend or disturb anybody while still enabling those who need recruiting to do so. If there would be no recruiting whatsoever then I would see this as a very critical indicator for where this area is heading to: Complete and utter irrelevance.

Kind Regards,
Schlomo

--
Schlomo Schapiro
Systemarchitekt

Immobilien Scout GmbH
Andreasstraße 10
10243 Berlin
Fon +49 30 24 301-1229
Fax +49 30 24 301-1110
Mobile +49 170 753 72 60
schlomo....@immobilienscout24.de
https://plus.google.com/100684964212588500616/about

Immobilien Scout GmbH
Aufsichtsrat: Dr. Martin Enderle (Vorsitzender)
Geschäftsführer: Dirk Hoffmann, Marc Stilke (Sprecher)
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 69108
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin

http://www.immobilienscout24.de
Der Marktführer:
Die Nr. 1 rund um Immobilien

till

Jul 9, 2012, 10:25:03 AM7/9/12
to berlin...@googlegroups.com
Maybe keep we should aim to keep it simple (KISS). :) Just how we prefer our toolchain.

That one email was not out of line since he was polite and offered a job related to what this mailing list is about.

There is no other spam or recruiting spam either. No need to write a constitution and over-complicate things.

Till

On Monday, July 9, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Schlomo Schapiro wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think that Christian's main point was more to keep the list clear from head hunters, not to shield all people from job offers in general. And I also believe that this list should remain focused on the topic and not turn into a general discussion list.
>
> I also agree that if there are rules then they should be posted somewhere. As we don't have any written rules yet we should take this opportunity to write some rules which the majority of this list agrees upon. Here is my suggestion to start a discussion about the rules:
> I actually believe that recruiting is a normal part of any event and we should just give recruiting a place that does not offend or disturb anybody while still enabling those who need recruiting to do so. If there would be no recruiting whatsoever then I would see this as a very critical indicator for where this area is heading to: Complete and utter irrelevance.
> Kind Regards,
> Schlomo
> On 09/07/12 15:37, Mathias Meyer wrote:
> > 1.) if there is a guideline it should be mentioned on the website or the group's site. 2.) i said i'm not opposed to the emails. if you're looking for a new job, sure it's an email with a certain value to the person looking for the job. My interest is not to bring up a discussion on this. If that's what was settled on, mention it somewhere, and there doesn't have to be a discussion about it. As long as it's not written down I can't blame Jonathan for posting a simple job ad. Cheers, Mathias On Monday, 9. July 2012 at 15:30, Nils von Harlessem wrote:

> > > -- Nils von Harleßem t +49 89 44456 2913 | m +49 151 2520 4676 | skype: popyandcaste buddybrand GmbH Rudi-Dutschke-Straße 26, 10969 Berlin www.buddybrand.de (http://www.buddybrand.de) (http://www.buddybrand.de) HRB 131430 B - Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg Vertretungsberechtigte Geschäftsführer: Klaus Breyer, Lars Kranholdt, Vincent Nicolai, Philipp Thurmann
>

> -- Schlomo Schapiro Systemarchitekt Open Source Evangelist Immobilien Scout GmbH Andreasstraße 10 10243 Berlin Fon +49 30 24 301-1229 Fax +49 30 24 301-1110 Mobile +49 170 753 72 60 schlomo....@immobilienscout24.de (mailto:schlomo....@immobilienscout24.de) https://plus.google.com/100684964212588500616/about ---------------------------------------------------------- Immobilien Scout GmbH Aufsichtsrat: Dr. Martin Enderle (Vorsitzender) Geschäftsführer: Dirk Hoffmann, Marc Stilke (Sprecher) Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 69108 Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin ---------------------------------------------------------- http://www.immobilienscout24.de Der Marktführer: Die Nr. 1 rund um Immobilien

Paweł Rein

Jul 9, 2012, 10:25:07 AM7/9/12
to berlin...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 1:22 PM, jonfm <j.m...@teameurope.net> wrote:
> Where is the best place to put direct (not from an agent) posts about jobs
> which are culturally compatible with the DevOps mindset? For example, where
> this community will see it if they are looking?

I think LinkedIn groups such as "DevOps":
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/DevOps-2825397
and "DevOps at Scale ": http://www.linkedin.com/groups/DevOps-Scale-4200099
may work well for that purpose.

Cheers,
Pawel

Schlomo Schapiro

Jul 9, 2012, 10:31:16 AM7/9/12
to berlin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 09/07/12 16:25, till wrote:
> Maybe keep we should aim to keep it simple (KISS).:) Just how we prefer our toolchain.
Well, KISS is always good. I did not want to continue the discussion
without some "meat", hence some input. The argument "if there are rules,
write them somewhere down" is IMHO also valid.

BTW, I very much hope that this list is *not* limited to a toolchain
discussion...

Regards,
Schlomo

--
Schlomo Schapiro
Systemarchitekt
Open Source Evangelist

Immobilien Scout GmbH
Andreasstraße 10
10243 Berlin
Fon +49 30 24 301-1229
Fax +49 30 24 301-1110
Mobile +49 170 753 72 60
schlomo....@immobilienscout24.de

Falko Zurell

Jul 9, 2012, 10:39:45 AM7/9/12
to berlin...@googlegroups.com
+1 on Mathias post. I'm not opposed to job ads from internals on the list. But Headhunters and HR ads I would consider spam.
Maybe it's really the best option to make these kind of offerings during a talk in a meet up. And then maybe add it to the slides shared with the list.
This way we ensure that there is benefit for the whole group ;)

Thanks and best regards

Falko
--
Falko Zurell