BSDF shading system - Climate Studio

Elena Bonatesta

Oct 25, 2023, 8:15:34 AM10/25/23
to Berkeley Lab WINDOW
Hey there,

I'm working on making a new shading system with some materials that aren't in the Window Database. The plan is to export an XML file (BSDF) and import it into the Climate Studio for Grasshopper and Rhino.

Here's what I've been doing: First, I set up the material with all the optical and visible properties I need. Then, I use it to create a new shading system. But here's the problem – every time I try to generate the BSDF file by putting the shading into the glazing system and running the calculation, I get this error saying, "the layer does not have spectral data." I even checked the manual, and it looks like this happens whenever you copy or create a new material.

The real isssues comes when I try to import the glazing system into Climate Studio. It's empty! None of the properties I set are showing up. I've tried multiple times, and I'm convinced it's got something to do with that missing spectral data, but I'm stuck.

Has anyone else gone through this process? Any tips or tricks for creating and importing shading systems into Climate Studio would be a huge help.

Thanks in advance,

Elena

Robin Mitchell

Oct 25, 2023, 12:48:58 PM10/25/23
to Elena Bonatesta, Berkeley Lab WINDOW
Generating a BSDF file requires spectral data, which is generally obtained with measurements of the material, such as what is in the CGDB.

You might want to find a product in the CGDB (the Shading Layer and Shade Materials libraries) that is the closest to what you are trying to model, and use that.

This may be difficult if you don't have access to measurement devices such as a spectrophotometer.

I will forward your email to our optical expert and see if he has any advice.

Robin

--
You can view the WINDOW forum online at:
https://groups.google.com/g/berkeley-lab-window

Robin Mitchell
Building Technology and Urban Systems Division
Energy Technologies Area
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

Jacob C. Jonsson

Oct 25, 2023, 3:09:19 PM10/25/23
to Elena Bonatesta, Berkeley Lab WINDOW

Hi,

I recommend that you use genBSDF in Radiance to generate
BSDF with visible and solar properties (2 runs). You can
then find the results in those files and paste in the
matrices in the right spots that are empty in the attached
file (i.e. the 8 spots where data is missing:
<ScatteringData>
</ScatteringData>

Once you have this proper BSDF you can use that as a
Shade with XML layer in WINDOW and combine with glass
and generate a system BSDF for the whole window.
Or, if you only need the shade XML in Climate Studio
you can skip that step.

best,
Jacob
> --
> You can view the WINDOW forum online at:
> https://groups.google.com/g/berkeley-lab-window
> <https://groups.google.com/g/berkeley-lab-window>
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/berkeley-lab-window/e17eaccd-c682-4249-b3ad-c07a37a2fc86n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/berkeley-lab-window/e17eaccd-c682-4249-b3ad-c07a37a2fc86n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
EltestSyst.xml