Window 7.8 Frit glass xml

Jyothsna Giridhar

Jul 23, 2021, 7:09:30 PM7/23/21
to Berkeley Lab WINDOW
Hello,

I tried to import frit glass from Window 7.8 into my daylight model. I see that even after reinstalling Window 7.8, the BSDF folder does not contain any xml files but only csv files. There is a folder named "xml". However, that folder seems to have the files only for blinds, and not frit glass. I tried updating the IGDB and CGDB databases, with the same results.
I tried saving one of the csv files as an xml, but this is not accepted by the daylightng software.

Next I tried creating a glazing system in Window 7.8 by using a default frit glass available in the database, and it is giving me the following error.
“WhiteFritDiffuseFront.lbl (ID = 30000) has an invalid specularity type. Please consult the knowledge base at windows.lbl.gov 1 for more information.”  However, no new windows opened asking me to select a different glass, as was mentioned in one of the LBNL presentations.

What is the workaround?

Jacob C. Jonsson

Jul 28, 2021, 12:13:53 PM7/28/21
to berkeley-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

We are working on implementing a new way to
import fritted glass. The current method in
WINDOW 7.8 and WINDOW 8 is not recommended.

Best,
Jacob

On 7/23/2021 4:09 PM, Jyothsna Giridhar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to import frit glass from Window 7.8 into my daylight model. I
> see that even after reinstalling Window 7.8, the BSDF folder does not
> contain any xml files but only csv files. There is a folder named "xml".
> However, that folder seems to have the files only for blinds, and not
> frit glass. I tried updating the IGDB and CGDB databases, with the same
> results.
> I tried saving one of the csv files as an xml, but this is not accepted
> by the daylightng software.
>
> Next I tried creating a glazing system in Window 7.8 by using a default
> frit glass available in the database, and it is giving me the following
> error.
> “WhiteFritDiffuseFront.lbl (ID = 30000) has an invalid specularity type.
> Please consult the knowledge base at windows.lbl.gov 1
> <http://windows.lbl.gov/> for more information.”  However, no new
> windows opened asking me to select a different glass, as was mentioned
> in one of the LBNL presentations.
>
> What is the workaround?
>
> --
> You can view the WINDOW forum online at:
> http://windows.lbl.gov/software/WINDOW/forum
> <http://windows.lbl.gov/software/WINDOW/forum>
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/berkeley-lab-window/e2f3c771-7226-4bd2-9a32-d9db44c2e085n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/berkeley-lab-window/e2f3c771-7226-4bd2-9a32-d9db44c2e085n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

MANAS GANESH AVINASHE

Jul 10, 2024, 3:14:05 AMJul 10
to Berkeley Lab WINDOW
Hello,
I want to construct a frit glass in shading library, but could not frit type of shading option . Niether was ID 17 and 22 a part of the latest CGDB. the only way forward i can think of, is to downgrade to lower version of windows, probably windows 6 and import the shading layer.

MANAS GANESH AVINASHE

Jul 10, 2024, 5:07:27 AMJul 10
to Berkeley Lab WINDOW
Also, I could not find ID 17 AND ID 22 in my shading layer library,  which are mentioned in the windows 7  user manual as Fritted records of shade. I 4 firtted glass in glass library though, for front and back, with specular and diffuse data. I don't know How to use them though, to finally make a fritted glass, and export its xml to lightstanza for further simulations.

Robin Mitchell

Jul 10, 2024, 2:34:45 PMJul 10
to MANAS GANESH AVINASHE, Berkeley Lab WINDOW
We are working on implementing a new way to import fritted glass. The current method in WINDOW 7.8 and WINDOW 8 is not recommended.

So for now, the only way to model fritted products is if they already exist in the Shade Material and Shading Layer LIbraries as "direct/diffuse" layers (from the CGDB), and to date, very few manufacturers have submitted that data to the CGDB.

Robin

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Berkeley Lab WINDOW" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/berkeley-lab-window/54a440a7-dd34-4637-87dd-ffaf6faff794n%40googlegroups.com.

--
Robin Mitchell
Building Technology and Urban Systems Division

MANAS GANESH AVINASHE

Jul 15, 2024, 7:37:25 AM (12 days ago) Jul 15
to Berkeley Lab WINDOW
Ok thanks for your reply Robin. I do not know names of any Frit Manufacturers, whose data is present in CGDB. please let me know some names if possible. otherwise it seems like Modeling Frits, in LBNL windows is not possible. I have presently tried to mimic Frit behavious using perforated Screen. by sizing the perforation geometry to get the same coverage area as Frits. let me know what you think about this.

Jacob C. Jonsson (LBNL)

Jul 15, 2024, 1:50:51 PM (12 days ago) Jul 15
to Berkeley Lab WINDOW
None of the frit manufacturers have submitted data for inclusion in the CGDB yet.
Most of the information is collected under the accordion titled "CGDB Diffuse Glazing Submission Process"

If you have spectral data for fully covered and the substrate you can look under step 2b to figure
out how to get properties for different coverage levels.

Using the perforated screens is tricky, it might give reasonable values optically but for the thermal
calculations you are on quite shaky ground.