Edge Correlation Classes

Melanie

Jan 15, 2024, 2:24:23 PMJan 15
to Berkeley Lab WINDOW
Hi,

I'm hoping to get some more information on the edge correlation classes that you can choose in WINDOW 7.8 when creating a window frame. From the User Manual, I understand that the classes stand for different spacer materials. Are there specific products that are used as the spacer, or a thermal conductance value that is used for each of the classes that I could be aware of?

I'd like to understand what the difference would be if I were to input an edge correlation of  Class 4 for an insulated spacer, vs choosing none as my edge correlation and inputting an edge of glass value from a window frame that uses a known insulated spacer.

Thank you!
Melanie

D. Charlie Curcija

Jan 16, 2024, 3:09:47 PMJan 16
to Melanie, Berkeley Lab WINDOW
Hi Melanie,

Edge of glass correlations are quite old and are documented in the attached document (WINDOW 4.0 - Documentation of Calculation Procedures). In addition, attached is a paper that documents in more detail how those correlations are developed (An Analysis of Edge Heat Transfer in Residential Windows)

Charlie

--
You can view the WINDOW forum online at:
https://groups.google.com/g/berkeley-lab-window

D. Charlie Curcija, Ph.D.                              Tel: (510) 495-2602

Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory         Fax: (510) 486-4089

Windows & Envelope Materials Group           Cell:(510) 604-8668

1 Cyclotron Rd., 90R3147                           Email: dccu...@lbl.gov

Berkeley, CA 94720                                    Web: http://windows.lbl.gov/

An Analysis of Edge Heat Transfer in Residential Windows_26068.pdf
WINDOW 4.0 - Documentation of Calculation Procedures_33943.pdf