Celebrating World Water Day with our latest water security collection

Lewis Collins- One Earth

Mar 22, 2021, 2:18:08 PM3/22/21
to eug...@yakovis.com
Valuing water
Can't see this email properly? Click here to view an online version
One Earth | Cell Press
One Earth: A better future is waiting
Valuing water

This year’s World Water Day focuses on valuing water and asks us all to consider: what does water mean to you? Given the fundamental role of water in lives and livelihoods, there are some 7.8 billion different answers to this simple question. Those answers have everything to do with how freshwater is managed, valued, and even studied around the globe. Although we are all stakeholders in sustainable water resource management, an estimated 2.2 billion people lack access to safe water.

In celebration of World Water Day, we’re pleased to share highlights from the One Earth collection of articles focused on water security, management and equity.

Read the collection

  Feature Article

Climate variability impacts water-energy-food infrastructure performance in East Africa
C. Siderius, S. Kolusu, M. Todd, A. Bhave, A. Dougill, C. Reason, D. Mkwambisi, J. Kashaigili,
J. Pardoe, J. Harou, K. Vincent, N. Hart, R. James, R. Washington, R. Geressu, and D. Conway

Christian Siderius
Uncharted Waters Research, Sydney, Australia, and Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment

“Our analysis highlights the need for climate risk assessments to incorporate a long-term perspective of climate variability. Infrastructure design should take into consideration the potential for changing patterns in variability and recognize possible bias if only short time series of observations are available, or where future climate projections do not reliably simulate drivers of climate variability.”

  David Mkwambisi
Associate Professor of Environment and Development, Malawi University of Science and Technology, MUST Institute of Industrial Research and Innovation

“Malawi depends on hydropower and the supply has been affected due to availability of water in the Shire River. In some cases, flooding as a result of climate change has damaged irrigation systems. Droughts have resulted in poor crop productivity and reduced pasture for livestock. Several wetlands are no long providing the ecosystem services due to climate-change-related disturbances such as drought.”

Read more

Highlights from the collection

A Water-Function-Based Framework for Understanding and Governing Water Resilience in the Anthropocene
Malin Falkenmark et al.

Precipitation Characteristics and Moisture Source Regions on Mt. Everest in the Khumbu, Nepal
L. Baker Perry et al.

Transforming Cities through Water-Sensitive Principles and Practices
Tony H.F. Wong et al.

Advancing Water Equity Demands New Approaches to Sustainability Science
Bonnie L. Keeler et al.

The Water Planetary Boundary: Interrogation and Revision
Tom Gleeson et al.

Read the collection
The interdisciplinary home to unite natural, social, and applied sciences in a joint effort to address environmental grand challenges.

There's only one planet we call home. There's only One Earth.

  Read the latest issue

  Contact Us
Homepage

Aims and scope

Submit

Get the next issue

Special Content - Newsletter & Updates is a communication type sent to you by Cell Press

Unsubscribe or change your communication preferences

Copyright © 2021 Elsevier Limited All rights reserved. | Elsevier Privacy Policy
Elsevier Limited, The Boulevard, Langford Lane, Kidlington, Oxford OX5 1GB UK