2005 B473 Oceanis 473 Fixed port in main saloon leaking

Glide2277

Mar 13, 2022, 11:05:41 PM3/13/22
to Beneteau Owners
Sorry—i don’t know the name for these-but on my 2005 Beneteau 473 Oceanis there are three conjoined “windows” that are angled—facing forward-and fixed in place…
(At least they were “fixed’ in place until my 28 year old daughter stood on them!) , now they leak…they leak port and starboard.
The leaks come from the corners on both.
I am hoping i don’t have to remove them…
Has anyone a link to any good YouTube videos on this—or has anyone had a problem with these “windows”?
Has anyone had any success replacing caulking or using a sealant? Did you do it from inside or outside? Or both?

What is the best sealant to use?

Also i presume there is a rubber gasket…is it possible to buy one? Does anyone know a brand name of these ports or are they specific to Benetea and to this boat?…an answer to any single one of these questions would be much appreciated!
Thanks all
Max

DAVID FLETCHER

Mar 14, 2022, 7:57:44 AM3/14/22
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Probably not your daughters fault. It is a common issue

It is a large single acrylic sheet. Many posting on replacement it. Sometimes you can replace the sealant and get a short term fix. The proper fix is to remove and replace. Big job to do it properly. Probably 3-4 thousand to have it done properly. BENETEAU sell the replacement lens for about 1,000 us. Lots of labour to remove and replace correctly.

Sent from my iPhone

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beneteau-owners/e47b217e-68c6-44aa-8bc6-515524e1b99en%40googlegroups.com.

Timothy Fawcett

Mar 14, 2022, 10:23:08 AM3/14/22
to Beneteau Owners
Hi Max  Some years ago we replaced the sun roof on our 343 and below is the information I got from Beneteau on the sealants the suggested.

 My question to Beneteau : Is it possible to get any information about replacement and installation of the forward fixed window (below deck level) on the port side for a Beneteau 2017, 343.   Thank you in advance.

Sika 195uv is great product you can obtain locally.

Products used here at the factory for this type of fixed window installation:

Part    : 180338           Descrip.: PRIMER BETASEAL 207 SIKA, in stock, $41.76 each

Part    : 234250           Descrip.: ADHESIVE PU BLACK, in stock, $25.87 each

Timothy

William Eurbin

Mar 14, 2022, 8:00:18 PM3/14/22
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
As stated, leaking skylights are unfortunately common. My 343 had the same problem, the prior owner had the skylight replaced and it started leaking after a year. The repair was done Per Beneteau instructions which I think relies upon silkaflex, I recall some owners having better luck with dow corning products. Apparently you need a sealant with a ton of flex to accommodate the thermal expansion of the dark lexan sitting on a white boat.

I may try digging out the lexan and try the dow products....in the meantime gorilla tape is keeping most of the water out.

DAVID FLETCHER

Mar 14, 2022, 8:11:02 PM3/14/22
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I would use Dow 795

Certainly easier to apply. Holds a bead better. I used the Sika product and found it very liquid ( runny).

It is also important to paint the band and keep the band
Paint in good condition. It keeps the UV sunlight from breaking down the adhesive bond.

Df
Sent from my iPhone

Mark Sigler

Mar 15, 2022, 10:37:27 AM3/15/22
to Beneteau Owners
I have a B361 which doesn't have the "sunroof" portlights in the cabin top, but I did inspect a 373 that did and noted the awful repair that was done using the Beneteau recommended sealants. That may be the best sealant for this job but apply carefully or it may look a mess.

Tim C

Apr 25, 2022, 7:14:41 PM4/25/22
to Beneteau Owners
I've also used Dow 795 on both a 281 and now a 343 and have had years of leak free performance !

I did NOT replace the whole window, just pulled out the old sealant and put in the dow 795 .  I taped it off very well and just peeled the tape up for a perfect line.