New Beneteau 411 owners

Dave-g

Oct 18, 2014, 5:47:13 PM10/18/14
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
My wife and I just purchased a 1999 Beneteau 411.    I'm looking for resources from other 411 owners.    Other then this forum what other resources do you recommend?

We have the boat in Baltimore for the winter to have some work done on her. In the spring we will be sailing north to her new home in Toronto. Any local contacts in either location are greatly appreciated as well.

Dave

Captain Guy

Oct 18, 2014, 7:16:02 PM10/18/14
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Congrats...

the 411 is the boat I wanted at one point.

I do have a 1999 352... Many things, systems, design, components, hardware, plumbing, , etc are similar across 321, 351/352 – 381 – 411.  Boats above (461) and below (281) are way different.

Keep that in mind as you try to source stuff and info.

GUY
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1050** members and growing.

Berni Koch

Oct 18, 2014, 7:27:46 PM10/18/14
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Beneteau 411 owners have a separate email list and a website (although the website is really out of date, there are lots of pictures of owners, projects, and assorted gatherings.  The website is:

Please contact Howard Rosenberg through this list (Hi, Howard!) to be added to the 411 group.

There are members in Annapolis, New York, New Jersey, and Canada, to name a few places, and most of those people would be more than glad to speak with you.

Best of luck!  We loved our 411 (Hull #29, Misty- now Contrails)

Berni
s/v Avalon

Jeffrey Schwartz

Oct 19, 2014, 7:04:42 AM10/19/14
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Also the Oc-400 is virtually the same as the 411.

Jeffrey Schwartz

Mystiko

Beneteau OC-400

305-495-2300

David Fletcher

Oct 19, 2014, 8:06:50 AM10/19/14
to Beneteau Group
Dave

I strongly recommend that you have Joe Bailey of White and White Custom Brokers look after the boarder crossing.

Great guy

Cheap and knows what he is doing

Register it as  ship

Ship Registry 4900 yonge

David Fletcher
136 Augusta
Blue Mountain

David Fletcher

Oct 19, 2014, 8:09:07 AM10/19/14
to Beneteau Group
If rigging is original it is far cheaper to do it in the USA. Time to do it

Jeff Taylor

Oct 19, 2014, 10:53:32 AM10/19/14
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Dave,   Congrats on the 411.    I'm in Baltimore too do you need help in getting any work done?   I've had great success with Tidewater Marine.    Glenn Peterson, Peterson Marine is great with electrical and also has a pump out service.    Jim Stitz, of White Marsh Deisel is awesome with the engine, generator and winterizing the entire boat.    I'm at BMC, shoot me an email direct, I'll do my to help.

Sent from my iPad, Jeff Taylor!

Sailing

Oct 20, 2014, 11:04:32 AM10/20/14
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
David,
What is the recommended time to replace rigging?
Fresh water?
Salt water?

Joe Sircely

David Fletcher

Oct 20, 2014, 11:46:26 AM10/20/14
to Beneteau Group
Who really knows and how can you really tell.

NAVTEC say 8 to 10 years in salt 12 to 14 in fresh.

I did mine last January (2013) and my boat is 96.

I think it is climate and
Time standing versus use.

Navtec said it is based on the number of times it loads up or deflects.

Stored on the hard mast up is hard on  it according to Navtec.

Kidd, James

Oct 20, 2014, 11:55:33 AM10/20/14
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

And not just ‘use’…but what type of use.

Very hard sailing versus light….major factor!

James A Kidd

Northeast Regional Manager

Jk...@kaydon.com

617-448-2575 cell/office

231-755-4102 fax

www.kaydonbearings.com

Guy Knight

Oct 21, 2014, 4:25:51 AM10/21/14
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Dave, Snap I have 1999 Oceanis 411 that's currently in the Channel Islands (UK) - Great boat, next job I'm about to do is replace the rudder bearings!.

Guy

Guy Knight

Oct 21, 2014, 4:31:00 AM10/21/14
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Fletch,

The other thing to check is your boat insurance and see what they say. If they recommend 10 years and you do not change it and the rig falls over the side in year 11 they might try and not pay out.

The other thing to do if in doubt is to get a rig inspection so that if there is a problem a) you know about it and b) you could show to the insurance co if there is ever an issue.

Guy
Oceanis 411 - Lone Star

Dave-g

Dec 16, 2014, 10:11:04 PM12/16/14
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Let me know how it goes,  that is on my work list too.

Dave

Dave-g

Dec 16, 2014, 10:14:47 PM12/16/14
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,  good advise and appreciate the customs broker contact as well.

Paul Bulman

Dec 17, 2014, 3:00:30 AM12/17/14
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,  I have Hull #14 1998 ... Bought 2012..sv/ Chkm8 is a great Boat   I replaced the standing and running rigging  .. When I took it apart all the Shives in the masthead had to be replaced  The attachment for the Main Sheet to the Boom let go in the middle of the Gulf heading to Belize {interesting night} It had looked good,  not so ..Other problem is the Stanchen mounts have a leaking problem .. not easy to fix When you get her in rough seas she is a fantastic sail  Caye West to Belize 5 days   Enjoy a fine ship   Paul

Dave-E

Mar 19, 2015, 10:12:23 PM3/19/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
We just purchased a 1999 Beneteau 411 in Kingston, ON.  Hull #26.  Named Miranda now, but will be changing it.  We will be having it trucked from Kingston, Ontario, to Muskegon, Mich., in May.  We saw the boat in October, purchased her in November, and am chomping at the bit to get her here to begin the process of figuring everything out.  We will do sea trials in end of April and will be able to see her again.  Will also look closely at the mast to see what I will need to replace before we launch her in the end of May.

Working with a border broker to get her through the border.  Lot of paperwork!  Still trying to find the original manufacturer affidavit.  Beneteau only issues one and noone seem to know where it is.  I will be the third owner.  Not sure how I'm going to handle that yet, but still have time.

Have a 36 Catalina (up for sale now) and are excited to have a Beneteau!

Paul Bulman

Mar 20, 2015, 9:00:38 PM3/20/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Hi  and welcome  I have hull #14  now called Chkm8   As to the mast all the Shives at the top had to be replaced as they had crystallized and I also replaced the blocks.  I replaced all the stainless although it was not needed I was changing to Fiber so I did anyway, Check the attachment to the Boom of the Main Sheet  mine failed going accross the gulfstream in the middle of the night   No Fun ... You will love the boat she sails like a dream   I am a single hander and no problem.  I am in Belize at this time and have been all over this area  Great live aboard.   Paul Bulman   sv/ Chkm8

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1086** members and growing.

Berni Koch

Mar 20, 2015, 9:15:55 PM3/20/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Welcome new Beneteau 411 owners!!  It's a wonderful boat!

You can find all sorts of information on the 411 site at:  http://intersessions.com/411/

It's a bit dated, but there are lots of pictures and helpful info.

There's also a separate 411 email list.  It's non-commercial, and we maintain it for our fellow sailors.  Please contact jeff...@intersessions.com for inclusion.

Best of luck,

Berni & Jeff
S/V Avalon
Jeanneau SO 49

davidcfletcher

Mar 20, 2015, 9:25:24 PM3/20/15
to Beneteau Group
The good news is that you can go to US Spars website and see all of yhe fittings and sheeves etc.

They have the prices on line.

The mast head sheeves are very easy to replace and reasonable in price.

The blocks might noy be as smooth as new ones. Garhauer is a reasonable priced replacement.

Have US Spar recon the furler on the mast, she will be good to go

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Mar 23, 2019, 11:55:37 AM3/23/19
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
You can also find some information on the 411 here:

The list of owners is not up to date, but there are lots of pictures, including some modifications

Berni

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121

Brian W

Mar 23, 2019, 12:10:33 PM3/23/19
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
If you're looking for the local Beneteau dealer for anything contact Keith Mayes at Annapolis Yacht Sales. They're at https://www.annapolisyachtsales.com/. They have a very responsive parts department as well. We purchased our 1987 First 405 from Keith back in 2014. He's an avid sailor and has many contacts in the area.
Brian (s/v Toujours, located at Herrington Harbour North in Tracy's Landing, MD - about 30 miles down the Chesapeake from Baltimore)

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - Native American Proverb

John Estes

Mar 23, 2019, 6:46:04 PM3/23/19
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Brian,

Good post. Thank you for the recommendation.  We own a O400. I imagine the precursor to the 411. Thanks!

Firestorm411

Apr 7, 2019, 11:50:10 AM4/7/19
to Beneteau Owners
There is Beneteau 411 Facebook Group, if you are FB. There is a wealth of searchable information there.

Bryan

Bourne Free

May 4, 2020, 6:59:12 PM5/4/20
to Beneteau Owners
Hi Dave: I just purchased a 2002, 411 S in Halifax, August last year, sailed/motored up the St Lawrence and will sail Lake Ontario out of Kingston the next few years.