Re: {Beneteau Owners} Water tank treatments

bjgr...@verizon.net

Apr 17, 2015, 8:52:18 PM4/17/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
The level of chlorine you should be using to manage your water would never be strong enough to mess with the fittings. The chlorine/ ozone tabs are cool but chlorine still works great. Cheaper too. I also still use a carbon filer when filling the tanks. Bruce (Breezy OC40)

Apr 17, 2015 08:10:23 PM, benetea...@googlegroups.com wrote:

We have had several boats over the years and always put some bleach in the water tanks on each fill to keep them fresh.  We learned the hard way that during the hot summers on the Chesapeake that if we did not, we would quickly develop a bad odor.  Things were fine, but we have purchased a new B48 and they recommend Clonazione tablets.  I cannot find any information about this product.  Also, I started thinking about the several plastic fresh water fittings I had to replace on our B46 due to leaks.  Now I am wondering if Beneteau has been using fittings that are not resistant to higher levels of chlorine?  Any info, ideas, or input?

Sent from Xfinity Mobile App

--

Largest Beneteau group, over **1086** members and growing.

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question

---

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

or or

Apr 17, 2015, 9:40:31 PM4/17/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
We used bromine tablets in our AC inlet to reduce growth in the heat exchange system. Works well and is much less damaging than chlorine but I wouldn't want to drink the stuff. Since we lived aboard we used lots of water and crud growing in water tanks was never a problem. We went through all three tanks in our 473 (150 gal) every week. I suggest you use only one tank for weekend trips and drain it. You may wish to keep the other tanks full or partially so, so keep a small bit of chlorine in them to prevent crud. Chlorine gasses off and your water tanks are vented. You may want to switch tanks to assure chlorine in those that are not used.

We used a Seagull filter for drinking and cooking water. It is expensive but since we have always believed that ingesting clean rather than questionable water is essential to health and a long life, the cost was worth it. The silver in the filter element has proven the silver spoon approach to longevity and for five years we only once had a problem. Alligator River Marina wrecked our $80 filter with one tank! There and Coinjock are two places you should never take on water. Only fill tanks when you are enjoying a municipal water location. Well water is never an option and always put water in a glass to sniff and taste before putting it in your tanks.

Another thing you can do if in a marina using well water is to put it in a jug and set it out for a day. Iron is a frequent problem and becomes apparent when sunlight reacts with it, turning the jug contents red/pink. Move to another marina!

Re a water maker, unless you plan to spend lots of time away from the US coast it is tough to justify. We have met folks who hang out in clean anchorages and mooring fields (Key West, Vero Beach, Miami Beach) who love it. Given a solid genset to run it in those locations and I would consider an inexpensive water maker. Never go cheap!.

Cap Munday
S/V Zydeco
Beneteau 473

Sail...@aol.com

Apr 18, 2015, 8:37:18 AM4/18/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I too an on the bay and use a product I got from Jamestown distributors to start the tanks for the season.  I think the tablets are called Sweet Water and sold at West Marine.  Bleach will hurt Brass if the concentration is very high.

Jeff Taylor

S/V Quick Spalsh B50
Baltimore

Mike Mullarky

Apr 20, 2015, 7:47:26 AM4/20/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Cap,

I have a background in swimming pool operation.  Chlorine is typically used in pools, and bromine in hot tubs -- each is more effective in the common temperature ranges for that application.  Bromine in the AC (warm water) is a good fit, but chlorine will be better (and likely cheaper) in the domestic water system.

Mike Mullarky

Formerly Boreas, First 305

Currently Eighth Deadly Sin, J/35

Magothy River, MD

carl ramsey

Apr 20, 2015, 8:06:58 AM4/20/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Hi group,,,,,,on my last boat I use to put  half a litre  of gin in my freshwater tank(100 gals)....every season....kept tank and water nice and clean/fresh.......no  smells etc...great for cooking etc....but  still drank bottled water.......cheers

Sent from Samsung tablet

jbf...@comcast.net

Apr 20, 2015, 10:00:25 AM4/20/15
to beneteau-owners
Hi Mike,
Do you think Chlorine would degrade plastic hose fittings over time?

Joe

Apr 20, 2015, 10:34:00 AM4/20/15
to beneteau-owners

Thank you Coop, I think I will stick with that solution.

Apr 20, 2015, 11:10:39 AM4/20/15
to beneteau-owners
As the bleach start to kill these bugs it does not hurt to check the strainers more frequently too

Mark Wilme
Mark....@Gmail.com

sean

May 5, 2015, 4:19:24 PM5/5/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Maybe I'm the only one doing it (which is fine) but we use healthy doses of Hydrogen Peroxide. Typically a bottle per tank per fill. I will leave the chemists to explain the why.

and yes, blow the money and go get a Seagul. Whatever the heck you put in your tanks, they make the water taste like Evian.

My $.02

Sean