Leaking portholes...

Persistence (David)

Aug 25, 2020, 11:16:39 AM8/25/20
to Beneteau 281
Persistence has 3 cabin Lewmar portholes on each side (some 281's have 2 per side).  This season the forward 2 portholes on both sides have decided to leak, and rather profusely at that.  So much so that I've had to put down plastic sheeting and absorbent material on top of that under these windows to catch the water when it rains.  The gasket material is flat and rather stiff ( I have been using the same cleaning products for many years so I don't think it's that...) instead of pliable.  Does anyone know if the gasket material is replaceable or do you need to replace the entire windows? I would really prefer NOT to rip out and replace windows if at all possible.  I did replace the gaskets around the locking tabs 2 years ago.   Any thoughts most welcome.

Hany Michael

Aug 25, 2020, 12:34:20 PM8/25/20
to benete...@googlegroups.com
I have the same issue. Replaced the gaskets and the portholes still leak. I suspect I will have to replace them completely.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 11:16 AM Persistence (David) <dsj....@gmail.com> wrote:
Persistence has 3 cabin Lewmar portholes on each side (some 281's have 2 per side).  This season the forward 2 portholes on both sides have decided to leak, and rather profusely at that.  So much so that I've had to put down plastic sheeting and absorbent material on top of that under these windows to catch the water when it rains.  The gasket material is flat and rather stiff ( I have been using the same cleaning products for many years so I don't think it's that...) instead of pliable.  Does anyone know if the gasket material is replaceable or do you need to replace the entire windows? I would really prefer NOT to rip out and replace windows if at all possible.  I did replace the gaskets around the locking tabs 2 years ago.   Any thoughts most welcome.

Hany

Chuck Weissberg

Aug 25, 2020, 2:01:46 PM8/25/20
to benete...@googlegroups.com
You may also check two things.  1. coat the gasket surface with petroleum jelly.  Sometimes that will be enough to stop the leak
2. You may have to pull the metal frame off of the coach roof,scrape the black out of the channel ( use small screw driver and dental picks)  then re-fill with (I believe 3m 5200)  I did an entry on this on the 281 site maybe 10-15 years ago.    Then re-seat the frame and seal it again. Hope this helps

TimC

Aug 25, 2020, 8:19:43 PM8/25/20
to Beneteau 281
David,
I had the same issue on my 281.  On a call w/ Lewmar, here's what tried based on their feedback:

The "old" Lewmar standard portlight has a two piece aluminum frame..  There is a rubber gasket that links the two parts.  That gasket breaks down and starts to leak.  The fix suggested was to scrape a small amount of that gasket out from the outside with a razor blade.  (I tried this on one to start.)  I scraped/cut our a very thin layer of this - likely 1/32" ~ 1/16" but no more.  You then take silicone (clear) sealant and put a bead of it on that joint, slightly overlapping the aluminum.  Do this on both sides of the joint.    For me, no more leak.  I also replaced (previously) the window seal that goes fully around the window in the frame, as well as the O rings.  I kept all greased with a clear silicone based grease. annually.

This worked well for me.  When i bought the boat, all leaked.  when i sold it, no more leaks !

I miss my 281. it is a great boat.

Tim

TimC

Aug 25, 2020, 8:25:42 PM8/25/20
to Beneteau 281
David,
Also - rereading your post- replacing the gasket around the window is needed too.  Pulling it out is simple.  Getting a clean track for the new one takes time but well worth the effort.  Start with one.  I did buy an entire new window but then gave up when i realized how much work it was going to be to break the seal.

Tim

Persistence (David)

Aug 26, 2020, 11:01:45 AM8/26/20
to Beneteau 281
Well, it looks like I have some options - thanks everyone!