1997 281 Jib Furler

Brian Fisher

Jun 5, 2022, 8:10:04 AM6/5/22
to Beneteau 281
Hi everyone,

The fuller on our 281 is jamming intermittently. Can make furling quite interesting indeed!

When spinning the Furler by hand, I can hear a sound like something has detached inside the drum, perhaps a ball bearing.

I cannot find any manufacturer marks on the drum, but it’s grey aluminum if the helps.

Would appreciate your insights if this. I’d prefer to rebuild the furler if possible, but without knowing the manufacturer, I have no idea on bearing size, etc.

Perhaps it would be better to just replace the furling system in it’s entirety?

Please let me know what you think.

Regards,

Brian

ANDY LIFLAND

Jun 5, 2022, 2:39:10 PM6/5/22
to benete...@googlegroups.com
Brian, page 101 in the manual shows it’s a Z Spar furler.

sn_Beneteau_Oceanis_281.pdf
image0.png

Brian Fisher

Mar 5, 2024, 6:29:38 AMMar 5
to Beneteau 281
Thanks Andy and apologies for the delay in responding.

I cannot find anyone with parts for the Z Spar furler. That being said, if it is the bearings as I suspect, I’m sure I can find replacements once I know the specs (ID, OD, etc.)

What concerns me most is loosening the forestay and removing the furling drum for service. Is it even possible to loosen the forestay without also loosening the shrouds? Could I use the jib halyard as a temporary forestay or is that crazy?

Regards,

Brian