Starting issue

Persistence (David)

May 14, 2020, 11:21:43 AM5/14/20
to Beneteau 281
With the COVID-19 situation upon us, we're hoping that the Ontario (Canada) government relaxes some of the rules in place and will allow marinas to open to recreational boaters so that we can look to get boats ready to launch (painting the bottom, etc., etc,)  With over 230 boats in the marina and 90% of those needing a hoist to lift of cradles and into the water, it's going to be a long process.

OK - for a number of years now we have encountered a situation where when the starter button is depressed we are met with a "click" and nothing else.  A 2nd or 3rd push and she starts up like the day she was new.  I have so far in the past 6 years:  replaced the start button with the Beneteau OEM part, had the starter ans solenoid removed, tested and then replaced, have new batteries, checked all the connections a dozen times to ensure they are tight.......

I sincerely don't want to find myself out in the middle of a VERY large lake (Lake Huron) on a trip and find the engine will not start but for the life of me can't seem to isolate the issue.

Any thoughts most welcome!

David

sven finnis

May 14, 2020, 11:56:39 AM5/14/20
to benete...@googlegroups.com
If you open the panel from the rear cabin to the engine (as if you are turning on your engine thru hulls) there is an electrical wiring harness connector with maybe 8 wires in it, on mine it was just to the left of the air cleaner). the starter motor wires go through this connector. disconnect it, wiggle it around, add some lithium grease and i bet it will start first time.

sven finnis

May 14, 2020, 11:58:08 AM5/14/20
to benete...@googlegroups.com
i would clean this connector and regrease every year.. I figures i would cut this connector out completely if it ever caused unfixable problems.

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 11:21 AM Persistence (David) <dsj....@gmail.com> wrote:

Persistence (David)

May 15, 2020, 9:14:06 AM5/15/20
to Beneteau 281
Many thanks Sven, and to everyone who has offered suggestions (and encouragement!).  I have a new "need to look at" list.  Cheers and good sailing everyone.