In-Mast Furling Mainsail

Bene281

Jun 4, 2017, 8:49:17 PM6/4/17
to Beneteau 281

Hi - Question with regard to a set-up with in-mast furling mainsail. The photo below shows our configuration with the mainsail furled out. The sail's clew is touching the boom traveler, more precisely, it is sitting right on top of the bowline in the outhaul rope.

  1. For one, we already notice some chafe in the outhaul rope, right where the clew is sitting on the bowline.
  2. Furthermore, we keep having trouble with unfurling the mainsail. When we unfurl, we can easily pull out the sail (just by pulling the outhaul rope by hand) until the sail's clew reaches the boom traveler - roughly in the middle of the boom. Then the sail seems to get stuck - we either have to use the winch to unfurl from the cockpit, or we have to get up to the boom and pull out the sail by hand (pulling at the clew), which is easy.
Does the set-up in the photo look right to you? Shouldn't the clew sit higher?

Thanks for all thoughts and suggestions.