Mast rake?

Persistence (David)

Oct 4, 2018, 9:10:19 AM10/4/18
to Beneteau 281

During our most recent mandatory 5 year insurance survey, the surveyor highlighted that it "seems" to him that our 281 mast has a fairly aggressive stern rake to it.  As far as I know all of the standing rigging is original (fresh water boat - we are the 2nd owners - I can't say if they were ever replaced...) however the 2-stage turnbuckles are as noted in the Beneteau 281 owners manual for size and length, and recommended adjustment.

During our last survey, and in all previous surveys including the more in-depth original purchase survey, nothing was said, and whenever we have the mast unstepped and then put back up, no-one has either noticed OR said anything, ever!.  The tension on the backstays are even and only at 5% of break strength so I don't see that as overly tight.  I have attached a photo, but I'm not sure how well the rake will show.

I'm puzzled.  My wife and I have seen other smaller Beneteau's in the 31' > 34' range with similar rakes......

Any thoughts / comments would be most welcome.

David / Persistence
Mast rake 281.jpg