Sanitation line replacement

Persistence (David)

Aug 14, 2019, 8:52:29 AM8/14/19
to Beneteau 281
Just as FYI - I needed to replace the old sanitation lines as the old ones had well and truly absorbed just about as much odor as possible, plus the hose from the head up to the "Y" valve had a slight split (not all the way through, but close) right at the bend as it comes through the rear wall.

After the ambiguitis web based research and talking to other sailors who had undertaken the same task, I ended up using the Shields/Trident VAC XHD Series 148 and while not a joy to replace, this hose is far more flexible so it's far easier to replace the lines then it was to remove the old ones!   Apparently it has very good odor permeation (time will tell) and frankly being white it looks far better in the head.  The 148 hose is the "heavy duty" (thicker) product in the range but I felt that after replacing the original after 23 years, it was worth the extra effort and cost.  One downside: you cannot use alcohol based anti-freeze so no ethylene glycol.   Again, just FYI.

Happy sailing.

sven finnis

Aug 14, 2019, 9:36:31 AM8/14/19
to Beneteau 281
Good work David! I went in another direction last year, i removed it all and installed an airhead composting head. So far I like it a lot! My fenders now live where the holding tank used to be, and no more pump outs.

Plan to empty it for the first time this winter!

-Sven

David Jones

Aug 14, 2019, 9:46:02 AM8/14/19
to benete...@googlegroups.com
Well that certainly sounds like an excellent plan!  We are "sort of" looking to possibly get a big bigger boat (32' - 34') for more cruising space and felt that any prospective buyer for our 281 would be looking for a working head....

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Beneteau 281" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beneteau-281/CAMO9xa3-xqsbOy%3DWW9Kqbi_2o6q_PQ-BMS5RDSx8FkUo4m7YAA%40mail.gmail.com.

sven finnis

Aug 14, 2019, 1:55:54 PM8/14/19
to Beneteau 281
I'm always looking for a bigger boat, but my head works and smells better than it ever did.

We go out fishing into December, the pumpout stations are all long closed by then, which means I couldn't use the head - or I risk leaving stuff to freeze in the holding tank. Whereas my nasty, 23 year old holding tank (which was also at peak smell permeation) tank was full after 3 days out, now i only have to empty the liquids tank every 3 or 4 days. I'm sold on it! And no more joker valves to replace.. Its probably one of the first changes id make to the next boat also..

David Jones

Aug 14, 2019, 2:19:04 PM8/14/19
to benete...@googlegroups.com
I bet it does Sven!  Great info and food for thought should we proceed with a larger boat.

In the interim we're good for a few years at least.  Persistence is out on the hard from September end through April end (we live in Canada) and to be honest we don't use the head except on "special" occasions - usually when a guest has forgotten to visit the facilities prior to an outing, or if we overnight - so I'm hoping that we can keep the odor to a minimum!!

Cheers.

David