Battery charger

Bruce Rowe

May 27, 2021, 11:16:15 PM5/27/21
to Beneteau 281
On my shore power panel is a switch for battery charger.  Alas, my boat doesn't currently have one.  It does have three wires dangling in the area above the diesel tank:  two reds and a black.  Traced back to the battery switches above the motor:  one red on each positive terminal of the two batteries with the black wire going to the negative side of the general switch.  It looks like a regular set up for a two bank charger, but appears too rinky dink for a factory installation.  My question is what does the switch on the panel engage?  Does it power up the receptacle that is in the cockpit locker at the wall to ceiling junction where a charger might plug into or is that receptacle hot all the time when shore power is online?

sven finnis

May 28, 2021, 8:21:48 AM5/28/21
to benete...@googlegroups.com
On our 181, yea that receptacle was powered up by that switch. turn it on and plug something in ?

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 11:16 PM Bruce Rowe <brow...@gmail.com> wrote:
On my shore power panel is a switch for battery charger.  Alas, my boat doesn't currently have one.  It does have three wires dangling in the area above the diesel tank:  two reds and a black.  Traced back to the battery switches above the motor:  one red on each positive terminal of the two batteries with the black wire going to the negative side of the general switch.  It looks like a regular set up for a two bank charger, but appears too rinky dink for a factory installation.  My question is what does the switch on the panel engage?  Does it power up the receptacle that is in the cockpit locker at the wall to ceiling junction where a charger might plug into or is that receptacle hot all the time when shore power is online?

John Taylor

May 28, 2021, 2:56:04 PM5/28/21
to benete...@googlegroups.com
This is our battery charger, located above the diesel tank. Pretty old I believe compared with newer Guest Sportsman models. I am not 100% but I think the black wire goes to the panel and the two grey wires to the batteries (or in our case a single battery) via the powers switches in the aft cabin