Fresh Water Lines?

sven finnis

Jul 7, 2014, 12:48:01 PM7/7/14
to benete...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone successfully run new fresh water lines in their boat ?

Specifically, I would like to replace the two long runs:-

1. Water line from the fresh water tank back to the head/under sink area. This one disappears under the cockpit floor and makes a few turns along the way.

2. The one the runs from the head/under sink area to the galley sink area.

I have tried pulling the old lines through, but they seem pretty well stuck.. I am chasing pin hole leaks in this old water hose that seems to have gone brittle over the years.

I'm wondering if you need to cut access holes somewhere, i'm just hesitant about cutting big holes.

I also wonder if there are any other routes that maybe do not follow the original route, but do not require cutting..

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sven

Alisdair Sewell

Jul 7, 2014, 12:50:42 PM7/7/14
to benete...@googlegroups.com
Sounds scary ! Keep us posted on progress !

Could you use the lip of the roof lining where it meets the sides (where the toerail is bolted along) to run new hoses that way ?

sven finnis

Jul 7, 2014, 1:01:03 PM7/7/14
to benete...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Al.. BTW, I dived on Tradition on Friday - more barnacles than I have seen before, took me a good 30 minutes to get em off !! Usually takes me 5 minutes.

Prop was pretty well covered, with lots of small barnacles starting to grow on the bottom paint, especially in the top foot or so below the water line..

Jim Cowherd

Jul 7, 2014, 1:01:29 PM7/7/14
to benete...@googlegroups.com

Good luck with that problem. I would be tempted to cut the line in segments and pull  from different directions.

Jim

Tom Bishop

Jul 19, 2019, 12:51:07 PM7/19/19
to Beneteau 281
Hi Sven, were you ever able to replace the fresh water lines? I'm finding the ones running from the galley to the main pump really tough.

Tom

sven finnis

Jul 19, 2019, 1:04:04 PM7/19/19
to benete...@googlegroups.com
I did do this, I also helped Al do his - we both had different approaches. I ran new lines one at a time, and then switched over the connection - so my system was never completely out of action, but it also took me a few weeks - an hour or two a night running one line.

Al had never actually used his fresh water system so didn't care about taking it offline, he pulled the new lines through using the old ones - one person at each end, one pushing and one pulling. Al's method was probably better and he used PEX which looked great.

Let me know if you need a hand.

For that particular line, i vaguely remember it having a weird route under the cushions in the rear cabin ? i may be wrong on that. Can also take a look at mine if it helps.

Also, you don't have to follow the exact route of the old line, whichever route is easiest.

to run the lines using my method, i found that your "messenger" has to be the same diameter as the hose you want to pull through. i went to home depot and bought a 10ft length of pvc rigid tube. this was my messenger for most of the runs.

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 12:51 PM Tom Bishop <mott...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Sven, were you ever able to replace the fresh water lines? I'm finding the ones running from the galley to the main pump really tough.

Tom

Tom Bishop

Jul 19, 2019, 1:46:55 PM7/19/19
to benete...@googlegroups.com
I'm going the PEX route with Shark Bite fittings. We got one line through, one to go. They go from under the sink through a tiny hole and the turn 90 degrees and go through the grp "rib" that's in front of the engine compartment and there into the lavatory where the pump is located. Fortunately we had air installed over the winter!

I found some conduit lube that helps a lot, made a big difference.

Thanks for getting back to me, helps just to know someone's done it before!

Tom

sven finnis

Jul 19, 2019, 1:49:02 PM7/19/19
to benete...@googlegroups.com
i'm sure i used a few choice words.. id love to see pics of your ac install, where everythings located.

Tom Bishop

Jul 19, 2019, 3:13:35 PM7/19/19
to benete...@googlegroups.com
The main air box is in the lazerette