Replacing head hoses...

Persistence (David)

Jun 4, 2018, 7:58:13 AM6/4/18
to Beneteau 281
I'm pretty sure that the sanitation line running from the head to the "Y" valve is cracked / leaking where it bends into the cavity under the wood shelf supporting the water heater / fuel tank.  Has anyone replaced these lines and can you comment on whether the fuel tank and wood shelf needs to be removed to perform the replacement operation?  I don't mind taking out the water heater but would really prefer NOT to have to remove the fuel tank if at all possible.  I've been looking at replacing the current (original) hose with newer flexible head hose because the current (original) line is very stiff.   It's not a "life or death" situation because there are facilities at the marina, but it would be nice to know it's fixed.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Alisdair Sewell

Jun 4, 2018, 8:12:43 AM6/4/18
to benete...@googlegroups.com
David - I did this in my 281, ably assisted by Sven! Not a pleasant job but well worthwhile - I replaced all the hoses and the tank itself - made a huge difference to the interior smell of the boat.

It is possible to replace the hose without removing the shelf, tank, etc but I must admit, I did do away with the y-valve and just ran a single hose direct from the head to the tank going through the locker and not back under the aft berth like the original hose did. I was never going to be far enough offshore to be able to dump the tank so figured the y-valve was just another added complication I didn't need. It was pretty fiddly to get the hose back up from the bulkhead through the corner of the shelf for the water heater but I got it through in the end.

In looking at other discussions, one other owner did same thing re. hose direct to tank, but added a vented loop as well.

Everything I read up about hose said don't go cheap - I posted the process I went through on changing out the hoses, etc on the google groups website

There are also a couple of other discussions - search on Sanitation Hose.....

Good luck !

Al.

Jun 5, 2018, 8:21:17 PM6/5/18
to Beneteau 281
Hi David,
I replaced mine on my 281 - i think i posted earlier on this back in 2015.  I did remove the Y and also put a threaded plug in the thru hull discharge (inside).

I added the vented loop though I'd not do it this way again.  The goal with head pipes - as short as humanly possible !  I'd definitely not go under the back cabin.  mine just ran thru the cockpit locker floor to the tank.  The change in the smell in the boat was dramatic.  Even the admiral was so pleased she went sailing more often.

I just did this job on my 343 too.  Happy to answer questions - feel free to email me if needed.

Tim

Persistence (David)

Jun 6, 2018, 6:34:25 AM6/6/18
to Beneteau 281
Many thanks for the suggestions! Not a job I'm looking forward to but the comments should make it easier to tackle. Cheers!

Tradition (Sven)

Oct 16, 2018, 10:19:32 AM10/16/18
to Beneteau 281
I just removed all mine.. In the process of converting over to a composting head.. My boat smells better already, still waiting for the new head to arrive..