2GM20F Sea Water Pump

John Taylor

Jun 17, 2021, 2:29:02 PM6/17/21
to benete...@googlegroups.com
I replaced the impeller but now have a leak coming from the hole in the body of the pump. Assuming I can get it apart (not 100% sure at this point) has anyone serviced the pump shaft, bearings and seals? Are there any special tools required?
Thank you in advance for your input
image0.jpeg

sven finnis

Jun 17, 2021, 3:02:45 PM6/17/21
to Beneteau 281
You can buy a service kit to replace the internal seals.. That weep hole shows that an internal seal has failed and needs replaced.. My understanding is the bearings need pressed in, not impossible but you'll have to drive out the old bearing/seal and press in a new one. I bought a new water pump on Tradition, and also bought a seal service kit with the intention of servicing the old one, but never got around to it.. On my current boat, my pulley was also pitted meaning i chewed through belts, so maybe a new pump assembly  is a good idea.. Keep the old one as a spare!

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 2:29 PM 'John Taylor' via Beneteau 281 <benete...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I replaced the impeller but now have a leak coming from the hole in the body of the pump. Assuming I can get it apart (not 100% sure at this point) has anyone serviced the pump shaft, bearings and seals? Are there any special tools required?
Thank you in advance for your input

Message has been deleted

John Taylor

Jun 18, 2021, 8:33:59 AM6/18/21
to benete...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sven, decided to take your advice and ordered a new pump and a rebuild kit. This will get me back out on the boat and I can dismantle the old one at a more leisurely pace. Really appreciate the input

sven finnis

Jun 18, 2021, 8:44:07 AM6/18/21
to benete...@googlegroups.com
May as well do the hoses while youre at it. And this is how it starts :)

sven finnis

Jun 18, 2021, 8:49:23 AM6/18/21
to benete...@googlegroups.com
I decided to service my heat exchanger this spring. Old hoses really dont like to be disturbed, so I created a bunch of leaks.. So new hoses, new water pump, new exhaust elbow, sparkly clean heat exchanger and we are ready for a trip !

Message has been deleted

John Taylor

Jun 18, 2021, 10:44:45 AM6/18/21
to benete...@googlegroups.com
Exactly:)
I want to change the hose from the pump to the heat exchanger in any case as it is old. The feed from the through hull, to the pump via whatever the filter/anti-siphon thing is called, is fairly new. Probably worth changing the other smaller engine hoses especially the ones that were spray painted. Some can be done in between sails providing nothing else breaks of course!